Thinking about photo printers... an affordable option?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mwct, Jul 11, 2007.

1. mwct

mwct TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just wondering about good quality photo printers. I'd like ideally to get one that can print up to 16x24" and with a quality that would at least look professional even if it really isn't. A search online reveals that some ppl think the Epson Pro 3800 is a great printer, how does everyone feel about this model? Any others to suggest? Obviously I would like a cheaper printer tho not if the cost is too much image quality. Also there is a more expensive RIP model that costs $200 more but is RIP really necessary if you aren't doing desktop publishing? Thanks.

2. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    RIP is faster if you are doing quantity without loss of quality. I have just always printer straight through Photoshop. Then again, the biggest in house printer we have is the Epson 2200. I have seen work off the 3800 and it matches my 2200. I think that's pretty good.

3. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was looking into getting a printer not too long ago and was seriously considering the Epson 4800. Everything I've read says the 3800 is just as good quality wise as the 4800. But I just couldn't justify it. Thats a lot of prints at the lab.