Thinking about picking up the XT-2

kalgra

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For those of you with this camera how do you like it? Any regrets or annoyances?

I know there have been some reports of issues with LR/PS handling the RAW files when the camera was released, but as far as I can tell thats all mostly been addressed or not really much of an issue anymore?

My intent for this camera is just an all purpose have with me at all times kit but my main uses will be landscape, macro, travel, and street respectively.

Just for some other context to let you know where I'm coming from, I currently use a Canon's FF 5D Mark IV, and 5DSR for studio work, portraits, architecture, and landscapes for those times when I know what and where I will be shooting and will continue to do so. However, as you can guess carrying either of those around just in case is a pain and I find myself leaving my camera at home more and more. My wife and I love to hike in the mountains and I always take my gear with just incase but I rarely find the need or opportunity for those incredible shots that really warrant me taking a 50mp body and massive tripod unless I already have a plan for a shot I have scouted out. All that heavy gear really detracts from what would be a lovely hiking day. The idea of taking a smaller mirrorless kit and tripod which is still capable of fantastic landscape shots is really appealing to me. For travel it seems a no brainer.

I recently sold off my Canon 70D APSC body which I only used for macro. After doing so I realized I prefer a crop sensor for the macro stuff I like to shoot and have been wanting to get into another APSC body ever since and really like the idea of mirrorless. My wife shoots with a Sony A6500 and likes it a lot and it does take great pictures but I personally hate using it. It feels wrong in my hands, the controls and menus I find "fiddly" and confusing. To me its just not a fun camera to use. I do really wish I liked it though as I hate the idea of buying into a third system.

I have spent a fair amount of time with the XT-2 at the camera shop and just love all the features and feel of the camera. Its the closest thing I feel like I have ever come across which checks nearly all if not all of the features I could ever want in a single body and it just strikes me as a fun camera that makes me want to use it. (does that make sense?)

Anyway I know that was a long rant and for the most part I feel I have done all my research and decided this is the way to go for me but..... I have not yet had the opportunity to hear from those who actually own the camera outside of youtube. I would really love to hear you thoughts and experiences using the XT-2.

Kindest regards

I may be the last person that should respond to you since don't have a T2 and I no longer use lightroom. But I will just jump in since you haven't had any responses to address the Fuji system in general. I went to Fuji to get a smaller lighter system and it has addressed that desire with image quality as good as any. We have several T2 users on the forum and all of them seem to love their cameras. Perhaps one will join in and comment.

I no longer use Lightroom but I never encountered the "worms" they talk about in the Fuji raw conversions. I've seen it on internet posts but never seen it in my own work. I think most Fuji users use Lightroom. The fuji JPG converter is spectacularly good. If you were to run into the rare wormy raw conversion, you could certainly use a Jpeg for most applications. At worst you could use the free raw converter available on the Fujifilm web site. Welcome to the Fujifilm group assuming you will take the plunge.

Following this thread because I’m also interested in picking one up as a second camera system for lightweight traveling and hiking.

I love my XT2. I also planned on keeping my Nikon gear when I bought it (7100, 5100 and a bunch of lenses). As a hobbyist only, I wanted something small and light to take on vacations and to carry out and about on hikes or to family/friends events. I was either lugging my dslr and 2 lenses around or leaving them home because I didn't want to lug them. After using the XT2 for a month I posted all of my Nikon stuff for sale.

What I love about it:
size and weight - I can carry my XT2, 18-55, 60mm macro and 50-230 all in one small bag that weighs less than my 7100 and a single lens or I can stick just the XT2 and 18-55 into my larger purse
dials and buttons - I love having all of the settings so accessible. It took some getting used to but now that I have it down to memory, it's smooth
EVF - love love love when I look in that viewfinder knowing what you see if what you get. So many more keepers.
jpegs - are awesome. Between the quality of the jpegs and the EVF I rarely have to go to edit anything other than some cropping
colors - I just love the Fuji colors. Used to roll my eyes when people professed their Fuji love but I can totally relate to it now
AF is fast and very accurate
MF - focus peaking and the zoom feature really make manual focus a breeze
wifi and Fuji app - easy to use to transfer to phone or ipad
I think it handles noise well

Cons:
LR/PS doesn't really translate the colors well - I've been using Affinity Photo for iPad for any necessary edits.

posted before I was done see below for other cons

Last edited:
Cons
While I love the 60mm for it's bokeh and it's light weight, I miss my Nikon 105mm
Battery life is not great - I carry 2 spares with me so it's not that big of an issue but be aware

Anyway, that's it. Most of the recent pics on my Flickr were with the XT2 if you want to look around: SharonCat...

If you're on Facebook there's a group Fujifilm X-T2 where you could get some opinions from pros who use the XT2 or check out X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10

@SquarePeg @fmw
Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. I really appreciate it!

Based on my reading it looks like I can do my basic raw processing in Iridient Developer then export to lossless tiff to continue any edits in LR/PS. Maybe a bit of a pain I dont know time will tell. :)

@SquarePeg @fmw
Thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback. I really appreciate it!

Based on my reading it looks like I can do my basic raw processing in Iridient Developer then export to lossless tiff to continue any edits in LR/PS. Maybe a bit of a pain I dont know time will tell. :)

As it's only a hobby for me, I've gone totally mobile and am doing my editing on my new iPad pro using Affinity Photo - so far I like it but it's a learning curve. I do love not being tied to my desk!!!

I have FF cameras (1Ds), MFT cameras (OM-D E-M1s) and APS-C cameras (Fuji). Since the introduction of the XT1, I've been using Fuji exclusively (presently, XP2 and XT2). As a former pro, size and weight wasn't a 'real' consideration ... it-was-what-it-was. But I really appreciate the not losing any, for me, 'real' IQ, but in a significantly smaller package. I've never used Lightroom, so I cannot comment on that end ... but the Fuji files are beautiful and easily compare to my FF images up at least a 13x19 print (largest I can print). I love the EVF, seeing the the "final" image prior to releasing the shutter. Plus, the EVF of the Fuji is larger than my FF viewfinders. Batteries is a concern which is easily remedied with a few extra batteries. Fuji batteries are small, so a few extra batteries is easily accommodated. Plus, the grip not only boosts the XT2 performance, but also adds to additional batteries. Latestly, but most importantly, the XF lenses are absolutely, wonderful ... at a minimum the equal of my 'L' lenses. Fuji isn't cheap, it is a low production, niche type camera, but having the most important controls as manual dials and switches, (as opposed to menus), you soon understand where the money goes. Software driven menus are much cheaper than mechanical controls.

I used to shoot FF Canon. Switched to Fuji X a couple of years ago with the XE-2. I bought the XT-2 shortly after it was released. I'm very happy with the camera. I was looking for a smaller and lighter package than my 5D without taking much if any of a performance hit (retired). I'm completely happy with the IQ I get from the XT-2. I 2nd what Gary said about the lenses -- you can't buy better glass. The big adjustments are batteries; you have to chose between the EVF or LCD and both eat batteries. The other big adjustment is getting used to the EVF. From my perspective the XT-2 is a big improvement over the XE-2 since the EVF preview can be disabled.

The LR issue is both real and not necessarily a big deal; it's going to depend on what you shoot and how much it bothers you. Folks who periodically claim it's been fixed are in a state of denial wanting it to be fixed and imaging they're seeing things. Basically Adobe's demosaicing of the X-Trans CFA is a bit weak and doesn't do a real good job rendering fine detail -- not fixed. There are solutions but the bottom line requires that you don't let Adobe demosaic the raw file. I can help if you want more info about this issue.

Joe

Last edited:
Hey @kalgra was just wondering if you ended up getting the Xt2?

Hey @kalgra was just wondering if you ended up getting the Xt2?

Sorry I should have followed up. I have not yet but still really want one really really bad. I still go to the local camera shop almost every other week to tinker with it. I think I'm starting to piss off the guys in the camera store. Lol

I decided to practice a little restraint and sell my Canon 5DSR first. I haven't had any bites on it yet and am guessing it may take me quite a while to unload that camera.

I don't like the idea of letting my 5DSR go first but the way I look at it I haven't honed my landscape skills anywhere to the point that justifies me even having a 50mp camera right now. So my hope is that once the 5DSR sales I'll pickup the XT-2 and 2 or 3 of the lenses I want for it. If I ever feel the images I'm making are worthy of very large prints I'll evaluate how much I like the Fuji system at that time and either add the GFX 50s or determine if the 5DSR II is a possible consideration.

Likely to be some bargains on new XT-1 bodies during the holiday shopping frenzy beginning this Friday.

Likely to be some bargains on new XT-1 bodies during the holiday shopping frenzy beginning this Friday.
Yes but it's been mentioned the X-T2 is much better than the X-T1 other then the jump from a 16mp to 24mp sensor.

I missed this post, a little late to the game. I bought mine because I was frustrated with my Nikon system. I borrowed a XT1 and made the switch (XT2) because of image quality, focus accuracy, and mirrored film camera external controls. The XT2 was a significant upgrade to the XT1. The ergomics are perfect for me. I also have the battery grip which makes the battery thing a non issue which may be important when using on a tripod.

As far as post, I rarely edit much other than crop, I just convert in camera. The free silkypix software does a great job for most things and keeps the color and renders true to camera.

Not mentioned is the creative control you have with this camera via the ability to create your own custom film simulations and placing them in your quick menu. I rarely go into the main menu. Additionally, you can add your often used settings in the quick menu, huge advantage.

Additionally, the use of adapters opens up a whole new world of possibilities for affordable, legacy glass. I recently bought a Tair 11a and it is an absolute blast to use. The focus peaking highlights make manual focus a breeze. So you can use your existing macro lens.

They also have a extension tube (MCEX11) and when added to say the kit lens, gives you a macro lens. I don't care for it on their 60mm macro (1:2) as you got to get real close where as the 18-55 gives you a little more range from subject. Huge bonus for traveling light.

Another key thing is their firmware updates. These are always significant and offer real improvements. I've had mine for less than a year and have enjoyed 3 major updates that enhance the system and taking nothing away.

Their customer service is fantastic from what I've read. Recently, there have been a few negative videos, one is from total abuse, another is totally not the norm, and the other is just plain idiotic.

Thanks agin everyone I really do appreciate everyone's input!

Additionally, the use of adapters opens up a whole new world of possibilities for affordable, legacy glass. I recently bought a Tair 11a and it is an absolute blast to use. The focus peaking highlights make manual focus a breeze. So you can use your existing macro lens.

@jcdeboever
You bring up a good point and the only real concern I have about this camera and that is using it with adapters. While I love the idea of dabbling with some old legacy glass the flip side to this is that using any of my canon glass on this camera is not really an option for me. As far as I am aware due to the internal aperture control canon uses. I can't even use my manual focus macros lens for this because I'd have no way to change the aperature without first mounting the lens to a canon body, setting the aperture then diconeecting the lens. I have not found an EF to X mount adapter anywhere which has contacts to allow for this. I really hope someone comes out with one. I could care less about auto focus I use manual Zeiss classic lenses all the time but not being able to change aperture is the one and only thing that makes me reconsider Sony. Not being able to use my existing collection of macro lenses or manual Zeiss glass on this body does really bother me. I'm pretty sure I can get over it but still.

Does anyone know why a smart adapter does not exist to all changing aperature on canon?

Most reactions

Back