Thinking about the Sigma 150-600mm Sport

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've read a bit and seen several videos about the new Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens. It's nearly time for me to get another lens for my D810. I've never had a lens with this long a reach, but there have been a couple times I have wished I had a longer lens. I think I'd like to find more subject matter that a long lens like this could be useful for, like birding, other wild or domestic animals and maybe even local sports.

My gear includes only 2 lenses right now, a Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD, which I bought specifically for this camera, and a Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR FX, which I got originally for my former D5300. I plan to replace the 70-300mm with a Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD at some point and will be adding the Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF as well.

Although the Sigma 150-600mm has been selling, all my favorite dealers still indicate it is a pre-order item. I also haven't read any comparisons between it and the Tamron of the same focal length, although some reports say that the Sigma is sharper. Due to the lack of information (and tentative availability), maybe I should hold off on the Sigma and get one of the other 2 lenses first.

I'd like to consider some of your thoughts on the matter, if you would care to share them.

Thanks,

Jim

is it $2000 sharper?

Are you referring to the Tamron vs Sigma 150-600s? The Tamron is selling for $1,069.00 and the Sigma is 1,999.00, so there is a 930.00 price difference. If all other things were equal, except the Sigma was measurably sharper, then yes, to me it would be worth the 930.00 extra cost.

For an extra sixty bucks, the Sigma can be dialed in by connecting it to the Sigma USB Dock. It might be possible to eke out a bit more sharpness. Can't do that with the Tamron. And there are a number of other qualities that appear to indicate the Sigma Sport is a better lens, but much of this could just be marketing. I deal with marketing BS every day on my own forums and have worked in marketing myself, so I am extremely wary of it. I was looking for some real-world experiences here, as well as practical advice for my plans to add quality lenses to my gear. As always, I am unwilling to sacrifice quality to save a few bucks.

Thanks,

Jim

For some reason I was under the impression the Sport was $4K and Non-Sport was $2K. My bad.

I have the tamron and it is good. I seriously doubt the sigma is a grand better.

That's a nice lens Jim. It's going on my wish list. I love my Tamron 24-70 but I have no regrets in spending more to get more. Would be good to see some comparisons to Tamron.

Most reactions

Back