Thinking of a D3 :)

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D300 right now which is broke and I'll have to send in. I have already planned on going full frame next year, probably another birthday present to myself (I got a D300, and 70-200 for my past birthday presents to myself).

I considered a D700 but I shoot with the grip on my D300 and the same would apply for a D700. After a grip and another battery, I'm already at the price of a D3.

I would keep my D300 for the crop sensor and keep the grip on that and get another one for the D700 but that the price of a new/used D700 plus the grip and another battery, I might as well get a used D3.

I have found a couple in the range of $2,500-3000 and vary from low shutter counts to 30,000, which is nothing since it's rated for 300,000 shutter actuations. I have the opportunity to buy one hopefully and my girlfriend even gave the ok, which she never does when buying large things like this. I need to save a little bit to go to school in the fall (I'm 21) but I think I should be alright.

I would use this for everything - as simple as everyday "point and shoot" shooting (family, etc) to pushing the ISO to 3,200 and above for the dance competitions I shoot. I normally am at 1,600 ISO on my D300 for dance competitions. While they are pretty clean, we are always wanting more, right? I'd rather have a clean image in the first place since I'm dealing with a couple thousand pictures for the dancing and don't run them all through Noise Ninja.

My only concern is the flexability of lens after going full frame. I have the 18-135 I normally use on the D300 and I wouldn't use that on a 700 or D3 if bought. I'm not going to shoot at 5 mp. I have all of the other lens in my signature which would work great, nice and wide with the 28 f/2.8 and the telephoto covered.

I considered the 24-120 VR as a walk around lens, but I have heard many many mixed reviews on it. So, not only am I looking at the price of the full frame camera, but the cost of a walk around full frame lens.

~Michael~

The 24-120 VR is not highly regarded...Tamron's 24-135mm is a surprisingly good performer; I know of a couple guys who do some very good work with the Tamron 24-135. It has a reputation as being one of the finest walkaround lenses from any of the third-party manufacturers, and it's better than the Nikkor 24-120 VR of either version.

Nikon's 28-200mm G, recently discontinued, is another FX-capable,small,affordable lens.

I might just wait, use primes and get a 24-70! Nothing wrong with getting used :)

~Michael~

How about your 70-200 as a walk around? On a full frame it should keep you far enough away for most shots.....if not you could always take a few steps back.

Every time I look at my local Craigslist a D3s shows up for 3k but I'm fighting the urge.

I'm not too concerned about weight, but that's a big lens for tight indoor pictures!

I'd probably use the 28 2.8 for that I guess.

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back