Thinking of blowing this picture up - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by BrettG, Nov 29, 2004.

1. BrettG

BrettG TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

I'm finally getting around to blowing up some pictures from my trip to Alaska back in August. I was looking through all of my pictures and came across one that I never really cared for much at first, but I love now. There's a part of a tree on the right side that I'd either like to have gotten more or less of when I snapped the picture, and it's too bad the sky was so hazy. Other than that (and the rather poor quality, but that's what you get when you goto a CVS for prints!), I thought it was a great picture. Just wanted to get some other thoughts.

2. Mo

Mo TPF Noob!

If the sky wasn't as hazy, it would be much better. Try increasing saturation in Photoshop or another editor. It also seems a bit too bright/colorless towards the top and a bit blurry at the bottom. Other than that, I like the composition :) - I am a landscape fan.

3. BrettG

BrettG TPF Noob!

Yeah, if you can't tell, I'm a photo newbie. I figure I'm not gonna get a chance to visit someplace so beautiful for awhile, so I let my camera autofocus (auto everything for that matter). I think it focused on the land rather than the trees. I've learned not to trust my camera since then :wink:

It was extremely hazy when I went. There were forest fires all over (especially as we got to this spot), creating a lot of smoke. Most of the white you see in the sky is probably from that, and not so much from clouds.

I'm glad you like the composition, that's the main thing every photographer needs to have a good grasp of. Other things can be learned as you go along (and I learned a lot from the pictures I took that trip), composition isn't as easy.

4. Mo

Mo TPF Noob!

Do you have Photoshop? If you do, I think it can drastically improve the picture.

5. BrettG

BrettG TPF Noob!

I do, but I think it's a trial version that wont work anymore. I'll have to give it a shot and see what I can do.

6. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

IMO not worth it

7. BrettG

BrettG TPF Noob!

So much for constructive criticism :roll:

8. Algoessailing

Algoessailing TPF Noob!

I like the composition, not real exciting, but beautiful country. I fooled around with it in PS for a few minutes, but with the amount of haze in the sky, it is difficult to get a (IMO) great looking sky. If you do PS it, try to separate the mountains and sky from the foothills and trees, the haze effects the former more than the latter.

9. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Brett, I played with the image for a minute, if you would like, I could post what I got and tell you what I did. Just wanted to make sure first since some people dont like thier work posted by other people. :0)

10. triggerhappy

triggerhappy TPF Noob!

Sounds like a great idea but make sure that you stand well back. We don't want any injuries. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I like the feeling of space. Unfortunately the quality of the print is, as you say, rather low. On balance, the picture doesn't do an awful lot for me, however if you like it then that's the most important thing.

T

11. green

green TPF Noob!

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOM :p

i'd say, if you think you want it on your wall... go for it. if it means something to you and you want to see a large version of it, then why not?

I personally would rather see something with "motion and emotion" on my wall... something that makes people need to really look at it to see what its all about. but thats me, i've never been much of a landscape person.

12. BrettG

BrettG TPF Noob!

Not a problem whatsoever! If I ever post a picture I wouldn't mind anyone posting a photoshop of it, even if I bought the full version I doubt I'd be very good with fooling around with it. Please post!