thinking of getting a new lens

Alyssa15267

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am wanting to get a 50mm f/1.8 lens, is it a good lens?

if you mean the canon then yes great value for money, real nice lens

I am wanting to get a 50mm f/1.8 lens, is it a good lens?
I will say that it depends on what you want to do with it. Yes, it (mine is a Nikon) is small, affordable, (I bought a used AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 G) and allows for a wider maximum aperture than your zoom.

Last edited:
For me, I didn't care for the Canon 50mm f/1.8. I think I would prefer the f/1.4 more. I had the 1.8 and didn't find myself using it much, so I don't think I really go used to it.

I will be using it for shooting newborns, would this lens do the job?

Since the thread is in the Nikon Lenses forum I suspect the OP wants the Nikon AF 50 mm f/1.8D or the AF-S 50 mm f/1.8G.

But Nikon makes 3, 50 mm f/1.8 lenses, so the OP will have to let us know which of the 3 she is referring to.

I'd go for the 50 f1.4 . It's a bit more expensive but you buy once, cry once. :D

The "OP" has a name... And I was looking into the 50mm f/1.8 g

That is a great lens, a good one to have in the bag whether you use it for newborns or not. I would recommend something a little longer, with the ability to focus close, maybe 100 macro, for newborns. There will be times when you will want to go in on the hands and feet and face and the 50 won't do it. The Tokina 100 macro is the best in terms of performance and value. A 24-70 and/or 70-200 2.8 are also good for newborns.

Last edited:
Don't get your knickers in a twist Alyssa15267. OP refers to the Original Poster if in person or Original Post if in context.

I find the 50mm a rather boring focal length.

Welcome to TPF.

None of your posts show your name.
Though it may be your 'screen name' it's not a given it is your actual name and I was taught to not assume (ass-u-me).

The AF-S 50 mm f/1.8G will work for shooting newborns, but the AF-S 85 mm f/1.8G will give better overall image quality.
Even better would be the AF DC 135 mm f/2D.

Last edited:

Was this necessary? OP means "Original Poster" if you didn't know and is commonly used on internet forums. Its not an insult. Its not a term intended to attack someone. If you knew this already then get a reality check please.

To answer your question, if you want to get a nikon 50mm lens, don't get any of the D optics lens. The bokeh is quite unattractive on those D optics. The newer G optics looks much nicer bokeh wise and is much sharper when compared to the D optics.

In my own personal opinion, I'd get the 1.8G over the 1.4G despite what users here are saying. The 1.8G produces a swirly bokeh which is pretty interesting for a modern lens. You won't get much of the swirl on a DX sensor though.

So yes, the 50mm 1.8G you were thinking about getting is a good investment.

None of your posts show your name.
Though it may be your 'screen name' it's not a given it is your actual name and I was taught to not assume (ass-u-me).

The AF-S 50 mm f/1.8G will work for shooting newborns, but the AF-S 85 mm f/1.8G will give better overall image quality.
Even better would be the AF DC 135 mm f/2D.
Alyssa is my real name, I apologize.

Most reactions

Back