Thinking of getting f2.8 70-200 VR Nikkor

Remi M.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on the f2.8 70-200 VR. I was reading about there being long wait times for this lens a year ago. Is it still tough to get?
I want to buy locally (Vancouver, Canada area) so if I need any warranty work done I don't have to ship it out. Anyone who lives here know of good places to call?
Besides Kerrisdale Cameras?

amazing workhorse. great lens, maybe a little sharper than the canon version (maybe not all of them, but in general i believe it is)

i think they are widely available, although i don't know about in canada.

Heh, the first place I called, Kerrisdale Cameras , has it. I was not mentaly prepared for that. :)

Going to pick it up today

wow! congrats!

I hope you didn't have to sell your car to get it... ;)

Now if Nikon made an AF-S 70-200 f/4 VR..

I got it :)

I think I'm in love.

My initial reactions:

It's a beast, much heavier and larger then the kit lens. Of course that is to be expected, I just never used a lens this big so it's going to take some getting used to.

I love how it feels, the zoom ring and the focus ring feel really nice. Everything feels really solid and smooth.

The zoom ring is closer to the camera then the focus ring, but I got used to that pretty quick.

Bokeh is beautifull.

I feel silly walking around with it hanging of my neck. :)

I did a few test shots, which I will upload later.
The kit 18-70 lens vs the new one.

Both at 70mm, tripod, same aperture, same white balance, shutter release with remote.

The new lens is definitely sharper, no question. Colors are better, I never noticed it until now but the kit lens leaves a slight yellow tint.

The limiting factor in the sharpness of the new lens seems to be the camera body, I am sad to say.

I have a Nikon d70s. The image is sharp right up to the pixelated level, looks like I need a sensor with a higher resolution then 6MP to really see how sharp this lens is.

"gravy
wow! congrats!

I hope you didn't have to sell your car to get it... ;-)"

Funny you should say that.........:blushing:

The lens was supposed to be my consolation prize for selling my second car. I couldn't wait to sell it though.

JIP:

Glad to hear it. What hole do you have the tripod plate screwed to? It seems to be perfectly balanced on the hole closer to the front of the lens, but would it be better to have it on the hole closer to the body to counteract the vibration from pressing the shutter button?

Thanks mike :)

I went out for a little shooting this evening:
843573062_a3751aa79b_o.jpg

(heavily cropped)

I don't think I'm ever taking this lens off. :)

How are you able to get the detail of the moon? Every time I try to shoot it, it is either too dark or it is blown out. What is the secret or maybe it is not a secret?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back