Thinking of Purchasing D90

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by tenlientl, Sep 28, 2008.

1. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

Hello. I know there's a D90 thread already, but I got a question to ask and didn't want to hijack that thread.

I'm new to SLRs. I always enjoyed taking pictures with point-and-shoot cams, but I felt limited.

I'm looking to buy a DSLR. I've never taken photography lessons. I don't think I'll be taking pictures professionally, but i'm open for it. Right now it's just a hobby I've been wanting to do for a few years now.

Would the Nikon D90 be a good choice? The D-Movie intrigued me.

I was told to get a high-end SLR, but I'm afraid there's a possibility I might regret it. Like I said, it's a hobby for now.

Would the D90 be a good entry-level purchase? I also want to leave room for the fact that if I do want to get real serious, I dont want to end up having to buy a new SLR to satisy my needs.

Thanks.

Oh. If it helps. I'm interested in just taking landscape pictures. I guess if there's parties like weddings, birthdays, picnics, etc. I don't think I'll be taking pictures of people playing basketball or soccer too often.

PS: If D90 is a poor choice, any other suggestions? I just don't really want to purchase a $3,000+ DSLR, unless it's a wiser choice...

2. poopingfish

poopingfish TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    3000? Theyre around a grand body only.
    It would be a good camera, you could pick up a used D80 for the time being or even a 50d. If youre just starting something such at the D80 or 40D will do you good for awhile but wont have the movie feature.

3. ThornleyGroves

ThornleyGroves TPF Noob!

Bournemouth, Manchester, Athens, Liverpool
    Photos OK to edit
    im gettin a D90 aswell great camera, read up on them, seen lots of reviews, pretty much quality!

4. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

No, no, no. I meant if you were to suggest a camera that's $3,000 instead of the $1,800 Canadian for the D90. But I'm interested in the D-Movie. But who knows. That's why I'm asking for suggestions.

Does the D90 have that feature I read about where it I turn on the camera, there's some electronic magnetic force or whatever that removes dusts from the lens?

5. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

I just went to a store. They suggested that the D80 might be a better choice for me. $878 with 18-55VR lens. Canadian dollars.

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No camera has the ability to remove dust from the lens, but some cameras (like the D90) have a sensor shake feature that basically shakes dust off the sensor. However, ALL cameras eventually will need sensor cleaning... sensor cleaners or not.

Did you read the review at dpreview.com? Look HERE.

7. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First rule of purchasing... do your OWN research, make up your OWN mind and then go to the store to test it out and feel if it is the camera for you. Then purchase it at a place that offers you the best price. 99% of all store sales people do not have your best interest at heart, they just want to make the sale.

8. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

Well. I went to the store and told the guy I'm interested in buying a new camera. Something to start my hobby. Told him I was going to purchase the D90, but he said the D80 might be the best for me. He said he's used the D90 before, and the D-Movie feature isn't that great. A real camcorder might be a better option.

Which is true. I wanted the D90 because of the D-Movie(or was it motion). I'm currently reading up on the D80s.

I just called a store and they offered me $690 Canadian for body, or $819 for body and an 18-55VR lens.

Does the D80 beat the D90 besides price? Coz the D80 has no Live View. I don't know how useful that is, I've never owned dSLRs. Is the EXPEED real great?

Would the ISO difference be a huge one?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  9. joethedestroyer

joethedestroyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You should probably see/test the d-movie before rendering judgement... It's definitely a gimmick, but you might find you actually find it dead useful. Besides, if the rest of the camera is as great as I've been hearing about, you can't lose with it.

But if video is what you want, a dedicated camcorder is always going to be better than an SLR with a video mode. Think of the relationship of a camera phone vs an actual camera. Yeah, they both work, but only one of them was designed specifically for one purpose.

10. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

As of this moment, my only concern is the 3fps vs the 4.5fps. Also the Live View. Hmmm. Is the extra $700 worth it? I could use that $700 for accessories, eh?

Has anyone had any D80 AND D90 experience? Can anyone tell me their thoughts about it.

11. joethedestroyer

joethedestroyer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    if you're wavering this much, I'd venture to say that you'd be fine with the D80. I've spent some time with one, and they are very accommodating to beginners and amateurs alike. And if you do enjoy the hobby, 700 will cover a very nice lens... and lenses are way more important than bodies (IMO)

12. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you're talking about Super-Sonic-Wave-Filter right? SSWF is the Olympus design. The Nikon D90 uses a high speed sensor shake to achieve the same thing.

Most of the guys who do real bench tests across many different dSLR makers say that the Olympus SSWF system is the best there is at this point. How much better I guess would depend on the kind and quantity of the dust and maybe on various environmentals as well. <shrug>

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008