Thinking of switching to Canon but-

illstudio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.illustrationstudio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For several reason's Im thinking of switching to Canon mainly for the optics and sharpness, among other things... Right now I have an Olympus Evolt-520 and like it but want to move "up" as it looks like Im getting back into photography again.
Through help here I've started using off camera flash via some wireless triggers found on Ebay. I've started experimenting and the results show promise. I do a lot of outside glamour.

I had my eye on a good deal for a Canon Digital Rebel XSi but then opened an issue of POP-Photography to read about the XSi:
"Not So HOT: Still no built-in wireless flash control".
:grumpy:

So I cant use the wireless flashes system with the Canon XSi?
(I have a Olympus FL-36 Flash and Im looking at the Canon Speedlite 430EX. The triggers work w/my FL-36 on M.)

Opinions?

You can use your flash triggers without any problems, there is just not a built in way to control an off-camera flash.

You can use your flash triggers without any problems, there is just not a built in way to control an off-camera flash.

Oh. Cause when I was first playing with the triggers, they wouldn't fire till I told the Evolt 520 they were there and what chan they were on.
How would I do it on the Canon..?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

It will certainly come down to what kind of triggers you have but any flash triggers I've ever used just needed to be seated in the hotshoe and turned on.

What brand/model of triggers are you using?

Now, if in camera flash control is a deal breaker, Nikon has it's CLS that can control other Nikon flashes from the flash in camera... but honestly, I would NOT base a camera choice on that alone (and I am a Nikon user).

This comment of you not being able to trigger the remote flash until activated in camera makes me wonder if it is not an Olympus thing, but "eBay triggers" in general should work on ALL cameras with a hot shoe, and you should be able to use your Olympus flash as well as practically any other flash that you can connect your receivers to.

The worst part about Canon's flash system is that you are required to purchase the external "firing" deal. Nikon has the SU-800 but that's not exactly required like it is with Canon. At 200 bucks....that's a good chunk of change for the ability to fire wirelessly where Nikon has the ability to do it straight out of camera. To me it is a big option and probably one of the sole reasons why I haven't switched to Canon....to others it may not be a deal breaker but definitely is to me.

What brand/model of triggers are you using?

Now, if in camera flash control is a deal breaker, Nikon has it's CLS that can control other Nikon flashes from the flash in camera... but honestly, I would NOT base a camera choice on that alone (and I am a Nikon user).

This comment of you not being able to trigger the remote flash until activated in camera makes me wonder if it is not an Olympus thing, but "eBay triggers" in general should work on ALL cameras with a hot shoe, and you should be able to use your Olympus flash as well as practically any other flash that you can connect your receivers to.

Heres my trigger
Phoshot 4 Channel Flash Trigger + 3 Receiver PT-04 V2s - eBay (item 140303850143 end time Jul-24-09 19:14:17 PDT)

The test button wont work. The flash wouldn't fire, like I said, till input the data in the Evolt 520 menu. I thought it was broken, then someone said to tell the olympus the trigger is there.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, definitely an Olympus thing. These triggers will work on a Canon, Nikon, Pentax... anything with a hotshoe connector on the camera, even older film cameras.

These are "loose copies" of the Gadget Infinity V4 triggers. I used to use a set of V2s for a while. My dad even uses them on his old Nikon F2A film camera and my Nikon E8800 P&S without issues.

I think you'd get by much better by moving "up" in the Olympus kit and not having to dump your gear at low prices, assuming you knew what you wanted when you bought it...

I think you'd get by much better by moving "up" in the Olympus kit and not having to dump your gear at low prices, assuming you knew what you wanted when you bought it...

I did consider that. I would probably keep the Olympus stuff since I would take a beating on the price and use it as a back-up.

The worst part about Canon's flash system is that you are required to purchase the external "firing" deal. Nikon has the SU-800 but that's not exactly required like it is with Canon. At 200 bucks....that's a good chunk of change for the ability to fire wirelessly where Nikon has the ability to do it straight out of camera. To me it is a big option and probably one of the sole reasons why I haven't switched to Canon....to others it may not be a deal breaker but definitely is to me.

Whats this external "firing deal"? I cant use my RC triggers w/o it on the Canon XSi? What about the new Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i?

Whats this external "firing deal"? I cant use my RC triggers w/o it on the Canon XSi?
You have to have the transmitter installed on the hot shoe in order to fire the remote triggers attached to your off camera flashes. Did you want to use it without the transmitter on the camera?
What about the new Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i?
The RC triggers will work the same way as they would on the XSi.

Whats this external "firing deal"? I cant use my RC triggers w/o it on the Canon XSi?
You have to have the transmitter installed on the hot shoe in order to fire the remote triggers attached to your off camera flashes. Did you want to use it without the transmitter on the camera?
What about the new Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i?
The RC triggers will work the same way as they would on the XSi.

I can use it w/the transmitter ON the Canon Xsi hot shoe. Seems to make the most sense unless Im missing something.

The wireless triggers will work as they do now. Transmitter on the hot shoe, sends signal to the recievers connected to the flashes to fire. Flashes are in manual mode and have to be adjusted for power at each flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back