Thinking of Visiting a Roman Catholic Church

we do offer free wine (after the wafer/bread/cracker) .... just sayin' :)
If I had known they had a piss up every week I would have gone years ago
why do you think they're all driving like a BOOH in their cars out of the parking lot after service ?
LOL

we do offer free wine (after the wafer/bread/cracker) .... just sayin' :)

isn't this against the catholic rules? I thought the free wine was for Catholics only.

As for people being "incredibly offended" if you don't participate, that might be an exaggeration but it would be extremely rude. It's easy to follow along though and people won't be upset if you don't know what you're doing.

But seriously, do not participate in communion. Catholics do not have open communion the way many other Christian faiths do so that would be extremely, extremely disrespectful.

I'm Southern Baptist now, but didn't really attend church at all until I was in my 30s.
Only time I went to church as a kid was when my mom got on a kick and felt like we "should"--and then we just went wherever was closest. Methodist, Presbyterian, Unitarian, Christian Science...anything EXCEPT Baptist.

But, my paternal grandmother was a devout Catholic; dad was an altar boy until he was 12 (when his father died; I'm sure there's a relation there, but he never talked about it).
My grandmother would ONLY go to Latin mass--so when we visited her in NY or NJ, we went to mass. That at least served me well in latter years because I was comfortable attending Catholic weddings and could guide my friends in what to do.
But then the church, by and large, stopped doing services in Latin. So, my grandmother stopped going. Just quit and never looked back, except when someone would ask why she'd left the church, and then she'd say "I didn't leave the church; they left me." :lol:

Anyway: Just go. Once you're there, do what seems comfortable to you, whether that is participating in the standing and kneeling, or not. Yeah, personally I do it as an act of respect. BUT:
1. I'm not sure it's any better to be constantly standing, sitting or kneeling a second or two later than everyone else than it is to just stay seated.
2. If anyone were to get offended by your lack of participation, well, it's not like you're there to form a solid relationship with those people anyway. You're just a one-time casual observer. So do whatever makes you comfortable. Within reason--I mean, don't take your shirt off during the service. :D
3. If you're really concerned about the whole "should I sit or should I stand/kneel?" just get a walker and a knee brace. Then NOBODY will question why you're not standing up or kneeling. :lol:

Being protestant whenever I've been to a Catholic service or wedding I didn't know what was going on half the time anyway - but in my experience you don't take communion, you don't use the kneeler, if you're not Catholic. It's been long enough that I can't remember if I stood when everyone stands but I'm thinking probably yes.

As a Mormon kid going to Catholic school, no you DO NOT take communion. But the kneelers? Unfortunately yes. Many Wednesdays with sore knees while daydreaming about the church being a castle with knights and crowns and stuff and imagining little mice delivering the Eucharist directly from God through the tabernacle.

Being protestant whenever I've been to a Catholic service or wedding I didn't know what was going on half the time anyway - but in my experience you don't take communion, you don't use the kneeler, if you're not Catholic. It's been long enough that I can't remember if I stood when everyone stands but I'm thinking probably yes.

As a Mormon kid going to Catholic school, no you DO NOT take communion. But the kneelers? Unfortunately yes. Many Wednesdays with sore knees while daydreaming about the church being a castle with knights and crowns and stuff and imagining little mice delivering the Eucharist directly from God through the tabernacle.
In Catholic school, you pretty much have to do everything they say. And your reports can't be written with an open mind, or else you get a low grade. Found that out pretty quickly. It was pretty darn easy to fake my way to stellar grades in religion class. Ahahaha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back