Thinking retro

If I remember correctly it is the prism lock release. Hold it in and see if the prism wont come off .. I forget if it slide back or lifts off but it will do what its supposed to if you press the button in. Be Gentle it might be her first time..

For all those who ever want to mess with Kodak cameras. Kodak had a love affair with hidden releases. They would build the release almost flush with the camera body then cover the whole camera with one piece of leatherett hiding the release mechanism. Thats what they did with the graflex.

JamesD said:
Mine is a 1000S, as well. What does the red button on the right side top do?
Has nothing to do with the prism. It's the battery check button. When you depress it, a green light should go off on the other side, over your shutter speed dial. It also serves to release mirror lock-up.

And now......James!!!! You have Mamiya 645 1000S too? :cheer: That makes us soul mates, you know. :mrgreen:

I love mine. :heart:

Do you have a prism viewfinder too? The release button is on the back to the right of the eyepiece, depress and turn, then lift up. Should be smooth as silk.

Yeah, it only took me about three weeks to figure out how to release the finder. And it is a prism finder.

Okay, I find the little light next to the shutter speed dial. However, it doesn't come on. I tried turning the shutter speed dial through all the positions, including the target, but it doesn't light up, button down or no.

I assume that by releasing mirror lockup, you're talking about when the mirror locks up because the battery is dead? My mirror locks up and releases with the little lever right in front of the film wind.

Speaking of film wind; mine has a problem there. It will wind just fine, but when the lever gets back to the forward-facing position, where it should stop, it feels like it skips a tooth or something and it keeps going. However, if I put it in multiple exposure mode, it works just fine. Unfortunately, it doesn't wind the film.

I'm assuming I need to get it repaired, unless you can tell me it's not really broken and I just need to RTFM, which I don't have. Heh.

Oh yeah, and that little lever that sticks out the side of the film wind... when the camera is ready to fire, it's sticking out the bottom. What's it for?

JamesD said:
Oh yeah, and that little lever that sticks out the side of the film wind... when the camera is ready to fire, it's sticking out the bottom. What's it for?
I'll have to look at mine to get a visual, cause I'm not sure what you mean.

How do your negatives look as far as spacing? If they're uneven between frames and you are detecting some skipping, you really do owe it to yourself and the camera to get a CLA/possible repair. Every single function should be silky smooth.

That said - if there's no green light, you either need to change your battery or, if you HAVE a new battery, again you'll need a CLA, cause something's not making a connection.

I'm going to check my manual later and see if anything pops up that may be of value. Seems to me you should NOT be in multiple exposure mode when film's in the camera for regular use (I think when there's NO film in the cam, you put it in ME mode so you can play around with the film advance).

Sorry for the thread hijack, Charlie, but I'm all aglow at discovering a fellow 1000S owner. :razz:

And yeah, I agree with you about the 40's nightclub photographer thing. I'd be fabulous! :mrgreen:

Yes you would. Im still surprised to find that your shutter is operated by battery. The only battery in my 645 I thought was in the meter. But it has been a long time and I really have bad memory loss. Most likely I am wrong but I do remember the release on the rear now that you mention it for the prism.

You can't hi jack a thread lol. It isnt a damn airplane. Alright take this thread to cuba mon, I have a 645 in my pocket......

To be perfectly honest, I haven't run any film through it yet. The film wind thing is annoying. I can probably get it to "work" by winding it 'til it skips, then stop, switch to ME and wind it back around 'til it stops. Acorse, I'm going to forget and wind up double or triple exposing, or getting only eight or nine exposures instead of 15. Murphey's law.

I've got a roll of 120 I'll run through it.

Okay, I'm an ID-10T.

So, I load the film in, and go to wind it up. I start winding like crazy to get past the leader to frame #1.... and BAM! It stops.

I check to make sure it's not in ME. It isn't. I hit the shutter. It clicks. I wind. It stops. I hit the shutter. It clicks. I wind. It stops.... you get the picture.

So, it skips if there's no film in it, but once there's film it it, it works fine.

Derr...:banghead: :irked:

JamesD said:
Okay, I'm an ID-10T.

So, I load the film in, and go to wind it up. I start winding like crazy to get past the leader to frame #1.... and BAM! It stops.

I check to make sure it's not in ME. It isn't. I hit the shutter. It clicks. I wind. It stops. I hit the shutter. It clicks. I wind. It stops.... you get the picture.

So, it skips if there's no film in it, but once there's film it it, it works fine.

Derr...:banghead: :irked:
hmmm....so it DID advance all the way till you hit "1" on the exposure counter? After you clicked the film holder in place and started winding, it should go all the way to "1" and then - yes - stop.

Charlie: you'll get no paper negs out of me. :mrgreen:

How shall I get an enlargement? The paper is too opaque, and my enlarger doesn't handle anything larger than 35mm to boot.

scan it as a negative.. then use the photo editor to reverse it.

Save all your rolls and black paper to reroll your own paper negs also to make short rolls if you want to just make one or two shots. Ie still life studio stuff. Never Never throw away your black paper and spools as long as there is a place to store them.

You can probably roll it right in the black paper without having make leaders. You will be removing bulk of the film when the roll is gone, and replacing it with shorter though thicker paper strips. LoL what a fun project.

just go into your dark bathroom with your paper cutter and your safe light. Cut the paper to a 10" by 2 3/8 (max) strip. then go to where the film was taped and masking tape the paper sheet to it. then rool it up tight BACKWArds (loose in of the paper first) Then go shoot the heck out of it.

then you can load it into your daylight film tank and develop it like paper in the kitchen sink while drinking a cup of coffee in the daylight.

Most reactions

Back