third party battery grip for d3100

Basalt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www2.warwick.ac.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of getting a battery grip, are there any to definitely avoid?

I was wondering about one that takes standard AA batteries alongside the Nikon battery for the convenience of having easy access to more power when out and about.

Avoid the more expensive ones (Photive, Vivitar, Polaroid, etc) as they seem to be rebranded Meike/Neewwr units. D note that there is no official grip for the D3100/D3200/D5100. These third party grips can be bought for $25 in Amazon. There is another type which has a remote and a bit smaller than the Meike brand. Again avoid the branded ones, the generic unit goes for $35 while the so called branded ones go for $75. Both types of grip can use 3rd party batteries but not AA batteries. Grips for other models can use AAs.

Last edited:
Cheers, I thought I'd found one that took AAs but on closer inspection the cartridge to hold them replaces both batteries so yep, the d3100 won't run with it. Cheap generics, here I come...

Do note that there is a trick to use generic batteries with a grip on the Nikon D3100/5100. These models can detect 3rd party batteries and will not work if inserted direct to the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back