This is a trial

FOTO-GRAFFIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
fotograffic.fpic.co.uk
OK Hardpoint I did what you said so if this screws then it's your fault and mine for listening to you.
A shot from last nights Speedway I am trying to get new angles and different images so I'll put some more on if this works.

IMG_5916.jpg

OK so it seems to have worked - Now comments please

The shot is sharp and clear, so no complaints there. I usually prefer shots to have leading space (space in the direction the foreground object is moving) rather than trailing space, however.

This is not quite so much "my area" here (race pics), but I think I have to agree with Tiberius on the "leading space" and the "trailing space" (those are some cool expressions for me to put into my vocabulary, thanks for those two, Tiberius :D) ... maybe a somewhat wider angle with the chance of a horizontal pic that still includes all of the man in black and white could have helped?

Ok thanks for the comments and here is my resoning behind the crop-
1) The shot has to sell - the people that buy these images for papers or mags do not want artistic images - they take up copy space- so you keep it tight
2) If you look closely in the bottem left hand corner you will see shale being thrown up - it's from the guy on the outside - if I don't cut him out a) he clutters the scene and b) I will have to include all of him - not good.
3) the man in the black and white stripped top is the race starter and if he isn't there then this wasn't a start in which case it was a very ordinary shot

Finally this was taken from some 100mtrs away and represent about 20% of the actual image which has to go up to 14x10 (inch's) so although I agree with the view that yes all moving objects should have space to move into as a way of defining movement and control of the subject it depends upon the useage of the image to the final crop.

Perhaps you could comment on the further series from the same event posted in this forum as i am trying to find new angles to approach this type of subject - there is nothing new under the sun and everyone uses the safe and tried methods of displaing a speedway rider - so i am trying break the mould just slightly and it matters not a jot if you are into this type of image - the most important factor is the way a viewer reacts to the image as to weather it is successful or not.

Regards

Most reactions

Back