This is important.

A good sentiment, but IMO a fundamentally bad idea.

I don't suppose anybody's considered how the power companies and the power grids in general are going to deal with the sudden massive demand drop off, and subsequent massive surge an hour later, if a lot more than the anticipated number of people take part. You could find yourself voting a bit longer than an hour.

Also the fact that a lot of electrical devices require, briefly, a lot more power at the point of turn on than they do when running constantly could wipe out a considerable portion of the net energy saved when people turn the lights, TVs, etc back on.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for reducing the energy that we use on this planet and I'm sure this "vote" won't cause a blackout situation, but these ideas that don't look the bigger picture and what kind of potential problems they could cause really do make the environmentalists look a bit stupid sometimes.

OK

globalresearch.ca/index.php

And with that I'll step out of the debate, I hate debating.

You realize that guy is a retired Geologist, right? Debate, or don't but at the very least look to experts in the field for their opinions.

As for this being political, it shouldn't be but sadly it is. Some people chose to turn this into an us vs. them rather than looking at the simple fact that if people are wrong about climate change then at the very least we have reduced dependence on foreign energy sources and made our home a cleaner place.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for reducing the energy that we use on this planet and I'm sure this "vote" won't cause a blackout situation, but these ideas that don't look the bigger picture and what kind of potential problems they could cause really do make the environmentalists look a bit stupid sometimes.

You make some valid points but what these things are about more than anything is getting people to think about the energy they consume every day. Will shutting everything off for an hour make a difference in the grand scheme? Of course not, but if 1% of the people reading this start thinking about how they could use a little less energy then its a step in the right direction, and right now it is all about those little steps.

Sorry Hertz, Global Warming is one subject I do not subscribe to. Sitting here in western New York recovering from yet another consecutive record pushing cold winter season. I am by far more concerned of the cold. Earth is cooling and there is increasing evidence supporting this theroy. I'll leave my lights on as neccessary here.

I hate the media for this term - the old research was a global warming trend - however things have progessed far further than this now and its not not a global warming - but global climatic change. Some areas are set to get warmer - others wetter - others colder - others drier (africa is listed for this!). And you really can't deny that the polar caps are melting - you really can't.

As for warming the earth up to counter the cooling - the warming up actually (its thought) leads to the shutdown of the Gulf Stream which triggors the next Ice Age

You mean you hope it's a bunch of codswallop.
If it is then we go down in History as a harmless bunch of well-meaning loonies.
But what if it isn't? What if global warming is a fact and we are fast approaching the point of no return? Are you prepared to gamble with the lives of future generations? I'm not. And turning your power off for an hour is a small price to pay for hedging your bets.
After all, we all thought that bankers knew what they were doing and our money was safe in their hands. How wrong did we get that? :lol:

Exactly my point of view. Well said, Hertz.

As for this being political, it shouldn't be but sadly it is. Some people chose to turn this into an us vs. them rather than looking at the simple fact that if people are wrong about climate change then at the very least we have reduced dependence on foreign energy sources and made our home a cleaner place.

Bingo! Well said.

Whats that hotel that leaves the light on for people? I doubt they will turn it off. It would ruin their image.

That would be Motel 6. And, exactly what image are they going to ruin? :lol:

... its not not a global warming - but global climatic change.

This is true, but global warming is still an accurate description of what is happening.
As for 'it can't be happening because the Winters are getting colder'... What is predicted by the global warming theory is not that Winters will get warmer but that the climate will become more violent and unpredictable with freak weather conditions becoming more common.
Other events that are predicted by the theory - such as the melting of ice caps and glaciers, expansion of desert regions, increase of mean sea temperature, reduction in the amount of plankton (the organisms responsible for producing most of our oxygen) - are all being observed.
There could be other causes to these occurrences but that they are all happening as predicted means that either it is all just an incredible coincidence or that global warming is a fact.
You will be hard pressed now to find a reputable scientist anywhere in the world who does not subscribe to the theory at least in part.
Go here for more details.
The reasoning behind Earth hour is this:
If enough people turn off their power at the same time for an hour it will show up very clearly on the power grids (power companies continually monitor electricity usage). The more people around the world who switch off, the more obvious the event becomes.
And if we can make it really obvious then we are demonstrating quite forcefully the the Governments of the world that we, the people, want them to get off their arses and do something positive and effective to try to combat what is happening. Because, as we all know, politicians won't do anything unless they have to.
As I have already said, we cold be wrong in which case global warming is a myth and we are nothing but harmless well-meaning cranks.
But if global warming is real - and all current evidence is pointing that way - then if we don't do something positive now we could be heading towards nothing less than extinction as a species. Or at best we'll be back to the Stone Age. Survival as a species isn't a right or a certainty.
Are you really prepared to take that chance in order to avoid a slight inconvenience?
We are supposed to be the most intelligent life form on this planet so I think it's about time we started acting like it.

And yes, planets do have cycles. Providing the conditions necessary to support life or being a lifeless ball of rock is just one of them.
Ask Mars and Venus if that isn't so ;)

The way I see it, whether or not the earth is warming, the earth is cooling, or it's just sitting there doesn't matter to me. What does matter is the continued depletion of resources and pollution. I do my part to save power where I can, recycle way more than I trash, use fluorescent bulbs, have lights that turn off if there's no motion, etc., but I won't be participating. This is a recurring event to bring energy conservation into people's minds, and it's good for that, but when you're already thinking about it, that 1 hour is going to do nothing, so there's really not a point.

I think if nothing else it will make people aware of just how reliant a lot of us are on electricity.

somebody in work today said that doing a search on Google is the equivalent to boiling a kettle 30 times. Don't know if that's true, but i can imagine it could use quite a bit of energy.

*EDIT*

Ironically, after Googling the theory, general consensus is that two searches on Google are equivalent to one boil of the kettle.

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking about having a weekly Candle Night at my coffee shop, where no lights are allowed (except for the bathroom).

I am seriously thinking about having a weekly Candle Night at my coffee shop, where no lights are allowed (except for the bathroom).
Try it! :thumbup: I think that's a great idea. You could use Earth hour as a kickoff, or not - regardless, it would be restful, calming, and an inviting place to sit and have some coffee.

Most reactions

Back