This is interesting effect

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It was shot in raw. Any explanation what causes this image like this?

_86A4805.jpg

Bill+gates+approves+_9de4bfbfd04e07c95b0a024a40615253.jpg

Corruption somewhere in the works. I'd check the card first.

My brother had some shots like that from taking them through windows.

The RAW converter isn't working correctly? My Fuji RAW files look similar to that when I view them with Picasa. Since Google is no longer updating Picasa, I've always assumed that the Fuji files weren't supported.

I'm wondering what software you are using to open the RAW.

It looks like the data isn't being interpreted correctly. The data in a RAW file is stored as a mosaic of red, green, and blue single-channel values. They are not blended colors that have an R, G, and B color component in every pixel (as a JPEG would have). The processing software has to read the data and then perform an algorithm (and there are many) to "de-mosaic" the data... in other words it turns each photo-site (with a single color component only) into a blended "RGB" pixel.

On most Canon models, the mask uses the "RGGB" pattern.

The letters describe the color tile pattern of a 2x2 photo-site matrix. The first letter refers to the color of the upper-left cell, then the upper-right, then the lower left, then lower-right. In other words it would be:

RG
GB

And this pattern would repeat over and over. However, there are variations for many other cameras such as BGGR, GBRG, and GRBG. If you are using non-Canon software and it doesn't understand how to read the data then you'll get a wonky result if it assumes the incorrect pattern.

For example, we're mostly seeing green where we should be seeing blue -- which to me, implies the camera recorded data but the software is interpreting it as the wrong color.

Most reactions

Back