This is the beginner's forum right?

Some get bashed because they ask silly questions before they have even read the manual or searched for a thread where it has been answered before
I think i could be one of them you are having a ***** about :lol: I dont like to gloss over the truth because it is no good telling someone a photo is good when its not, they will carry on making the same mistakes

Aye but most would perfer more elaboration on the point rather than just the point itself. Simply saying "overexposed" "clipped the red colour channel" etc... can often mean nothing to a new member. Heck if you said the last to me when I started you'd have got a :confused: me. Explination of a point is the first step to education - the second (and highly important step) is the suggestion of a (or multiple) possible solutions to the problem - be the in camera or editing methods.

This is what people are after - its not the first part - the identification of errors alone - its that and the second - the suggestion of corrections. Because when one starts they don't know the how in order to correct the mistakes even if they are shown them.

Come on i do help sometimes :lol: i dont want them to get as good as me :lol:

hehe true - but we do have to prod you with the spiky stick to get a bit more out sometimes ;)
And besides how can we ever get as good without 300mm f2.8 IS L lenses - now if we all had them you'd been on a run for your money ;)

Aye but most would perfer more elaboration on the point rather than just the point itself. Simply saying "overexposed" "clipped the red colour channel" etc... can often mean nothing to a new member. Heck if you said the last to me when I started you'd have got a :confused: me. Explination of a point is the first step to education - the second (and highly important step) is the suggestion of a (or multiple) possible solutions to the problem - be the in camera or editing methods.

This is what people are after - its not the first part - the identification of errors alone - its that and the second - the suggestion of corrections. Because when one starts they don't know the how in order to correct the mistakes even if they are shown them.

hehe true - but we do have to prod you with the spiky stick to get a bit more out sometimes ;)
And besides how can we ever get as good without 300mm f2.8 IS L lenses - now if we all had them you'd been on a run for your money ;)

I don't allways use it this was taken with a £60 Cosina
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Derby-Sporting-MCC-motox/Image00025/138512747_NJd6o-L.jpg

Some get bashed because they ask silly questions before they have even read the manual or searched for a thread where it has been answered before
I think i could be one of them you are having a ***** about :lol: I dont like to gloss over the truth because it is no good telling someone a photo is good when its not, they will carry on making the same mistakes

I can vouch for Gaz!! :lmao: his advice helped me!! (See Gaz, ask and you shall receive. ;) )

Why then you would be dismissive of such behavior here?

The constant utterly idiotic posts of someone who got banned recently (and I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same person) are not what I'm talking about. People like that are far from being the majority.

I'm talking about people like myself. Someone who is far from perfect, can be blunt, can even be downright pissy sometimes but, if you stick around, you'll find out how much I have to offer...

I am no angel and most of us are not and let's not forget that non-pro writers don't always express themselves the best way in writing. Life is far from perfect and the internet is only a reflection of that with the added communication problem.

Yes, it would be great if we could all be like Dominantly or Overread but it's not going to happen because it doesn't happen in the non-virtual world. Life is a mix and so are forums. What you call being dismissive, I call being realistic.

For example: I think it helps for people to ask about areas they wish to hear opinions on, like, "How is the color saturation on this?" or, "How is this, compositionally speaking?" or, "How could I make this better in terms of posing?" and so on.
Instead, what we often see is a simple, C&C appreciated...

I like this idea! Hadn't thought of it, but I will be more specific in the future with my C&C requests, so that I can improve on things within my limits. :thumbup:

Why then you would be dismissive of such behavior here?

The constant utterly idiotic posts of someone who got banned recently (and I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same person) are not what I'm talking about. People like that are far from being the majority.

I'm talking about people like myself. Someone who is far from perfect, can be blunt, can even be downright pissy sometimes but, if you stick around, you'll find out how much I have to offer...

I am no angel and most of us are not and let's not forget that non-pro writers don't always express themselves the best way in writing. Life is far from perfect and the internet is only a reflection of that with the added communication problem.

Yes, it would be great if we could all be like Dominantly or Overread but it's not going to happen because it doesn't happen in the non-virtual world. Life is a mix and so are forums. What you call being dismissive, I call being realistic.

I've seen your posts, and they are not what I would say "blunt", but maybe I have not been here long enough :lol:

Ok...it's time to move on. Lots of pics to take and critique ;)

After you all create your Utopia here, I'd suggest you tackle people driving. Or maybe even grocery store etiquette.

After you all create your Utopia here, I'd suggest you tackle people driving. Or maybe even grocery store etiquette.

Well, I tried very hard in GA to have cell phones banned while driving. No go but it seems they may ban texting while driving. It's a start :D

But I want to know more about grocery store etiquette :lmao:

One step at a time

And I already started on the grocery store etiquette last night :mrgreen: - offered the person behind me my place in the line - I had a basket whilst they were holding an armfull of stuff without a basket.

I wanted to mention something, before I get too comfortable here, in the event that maybe I'm on the wrong kind of board.

This part of the forum is for beginners right? People who consider themselves beginners, anyway. Where others can come and give feedback in a constructive, polite, and courteous way, knowing full well they are commenting on non-pro work?

I'm just asking because I've seen a LOT of snarky, "holier than thou" comments to several people's photos and questions here. It's a huge turnoff and I'm just wondering if people realize when they are commenting on a "beginner" thread.

If so...then I'll be moving onward. It's hurtful to see so many "pros" bashing newbies for asking newbish questions. Also it's hurtful to see people getting bashed for what are actually pretty good "beginner" photos. I haven't noticed it a whole lot on my own threads, maybe a little here and there, but I've noticed it a lot on others' threads and it's clearly intentional.

So that's that. Forgive me if this has been asked before. Maybe it can be a gentle reminder to those who might just comment on all posts without looking which category it was posted under. Just be kind, please? :hug::

Man, I wish I would have seen this thread when it was posted. I've read through some responses, but haven't gone to all 7 pages. My one question to you is, can you please link to just a couple of these threads you're talking about? It's pretty easy to come here and say, "I've been noticing this trend!" when there really isn't a trend at all. Instead, it's one person who was having a bad day, replying to a newbie who either:

a) Asked a question that would have gotten better results in a google search.

or

b) was given good advice (probably in a previous thread) and completely ignored it because they thought the person giving them direct and honest feedback was being 'mean.'

Please read the thread about C&C linked in my sig. It's almost a counter argument to what the OP of this thread said.

Lastly, please, link these threads so I can see for myself this "newbie bashing" I'm hearing so much about. Because, I've been here a long time, and I know I have rarely seen it myself.

[
:lol: I think you just justified why people should treat the internet as REAL LIFE. The consequences of acting otherwise....well, you just listed them

By the way, sometime it's hard to keep the two personna separate. Someday, the internet behavior will get mixed in with real life, then you'll find out what a b!tch that will be. But, whatever. I don't know you, and you don't know me. Carry on.

... are you suggesting that there is nothing in your life that you SHOULD be doing, but you aren't?

People don't alway do as they should... and there is no way to change that.

No. I am saying that people are acting on the internet like they wouldn't otherwise in real life. They believe the anominity of the internet "protects" them, but it does not. You know, like posting themselves beating someone to a pulp thinking noone will find out, only to have the authorities knocking on their door. Thus, many of them get in trouble because they don't think they would get caught. If people insists on being rude on the net, whatever floats their boat. Do that long enough and it will get carry over in real life, and then the trouble begins.

No, there is no way for me to change how people behave on the internet. But that does not mean I condone the behavior and tell people to get "thick skin".
Not all of us. I'm way worse in person, in fact just today I called out about 5 different people in a group setting, at varying times; for saying something stupid.

Maybe it's because I'm in the military and a badass though.... dunno:er:

Most reactions

Back