This is why a reflector is benificial (even if its home made!)

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to the beach an hour before sunset with the aim to take more pictures of Ember my willing victim-uh i mean subject, It was very very windy but we still carried on with the pictures.

I cant afford to buy a reflector and stand at the moment so I thought I would take a reflective sun shade from the car, to see how much difference it would make to my pictures-well as you can imagine it was a challenge with the wind being so blowy, so the majority of the time we used it on head shots with Ember holding it by her face. The difference was instantainious (is that a word?) straight away we had catch lights in both eyes and the shadows were much less harsh.

These are two example pictures one with the huge car sun reflector in the wrong place and one with in the right place (i think)-I have yet to do any other processing, but I was excited about the results, so even though the photos are not spectacular they are hugely improved.

This is actually me in the picture, I wanted her to take some pictures for me so I can have some up to date pictures for the relatives in England, you can see I am holding the reflector and the sun is coming from the west. You can kinda see how windy it was-this is one of the rare shots with hair not covering my face LOL

From this experience I have learnt I definalty want to buy a couple of reflectors and stands, and I need to remember to take a hair tie when going to the windy beach so I can actually see what I am doing LOL

So here is me with the reflector (ember took the pictures on p mode, she is learning but not confident on other modes or manual yet)

I was holding the reflector, but in the wrong place
2592309457_13aeb24471.jpg

and then I think this one was in the right place, shadows seem to be gone
2593147160_2ce28f2bca.jpg

No pp yet on these-I think the skin is to warm what do you think? and I know I need to work on the eyes a bit as they are dark.

changed it :)

its these little things that excite me-like getting catchlights in the eyes LOL I think I am crazy

Excellent, and very nice pictures if I may say so.

Edited to add, yes, perhaps slightly warm and bright, but very good nonetheless, especially for serving as your own assistant! :lol:

Very creative with the car reflector shade. Nice captures. How about a thin white towel for a diffuser? =)

wow... what a difference... thanks for sharing these...

Very nice! :thumbup:

Yup a small reflector set is on my list of things to get before heading to the beach next weekend. Good to know a car shade works just as well! :lol::hail:

Very nice! :thumbup:

Yup a small reflector set is on my list of things to get before heading to the beach next weekend. Good to know a car shade works just as well! :lol::hail:

That's why I bought one. It was mainly staying in my car and people were asking why I never used it. I did use it, just not for my car.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back