This just *irks* me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ What he said ^^

then again... We are a society obsessed with "Keeping up with the Joneses

I dunno if it's that. My bp goes up when I'm at the gym and see someone doing squats in the squat rack (or worse, smith machine) and are only squatting down maybe 6" rather than getting full range of motion. They're just kind of sorta bending their knees. THAT'S NOT A SQUAT. It's not so much "keeping up with the joneses" as it is knowing about a better way to do something and wanting to share that information but knowing it's not socially proper to do so.

It's easy to get riled up about something that's a passion, but the key is just learning to let it go. Maybe that's why I drink so much beer. :lol:

How does what anyone else does affect you? Just think of it that way...

Sorry, I thought I answered you, but I think the forum software screwed up. The answer is the same answer I just gave gravity0.

I asked you 3 times, yet you replied through someone else- avoidance.

I think the software is not the problem- excuse.

I think because someone has equipment that costs more than yours, and does something you do not understand, it does not mean they have more money than brains.

I'm thinking that what "irks" you is envy.

I had one woman who wanted us to move a wall around like it was furniture for a certain piece of furniture.
:lol:

She changed her mind three times about what piece of furniture was going to go on that wal. By the time we were done the wall ended up where it had started. The owner balked when I hit him with the change charges because, the wall ended up in the same place.

If you got your money... well done! A big wallet or purse is no guarantee of intelligence, and in this case, it was a guarantee of someone that was just plain stubborn and spoiled. There should be a price associated with that and I do hope she paid! :D

I'm thinking that what "irks" you is envy.

I picked up a $15 car part for my mother's car that I repaired today. While at the Chevrolet dealer, I saw a guy plunk down $10,000 down payment for a new 2008 Corvette and said he would be back in 30 min with the rest of the cash... and not to let anyone sit in his car. Just looking at that scene, I thought "what a moron"... but I have no issues saying that I envied the guy that bought the car.

He followed me out and we had a chance to talk and I out and out told him I envied his actions and purchase... maybe because I had the chance to speak to the guy outside for about 15 minutes afterward, I had to change my mind and no longer considered him Mr Deep Pockets or a mental midgit... this guy went to town and back to make his dream (that Corvette), come true and he worked like hell for 5 years to make it happen. I appreciated his tenacity and envied his single minded drive to make his dream happen. In a way I should be that lucky to be that focused. :)

For me, it was a little slap in the face to remind me not to be so fast on the draw to judge just the actions of a person without a little background info. ;)

Now, if only he knew how to shift his new manual transmission car... lol

[...]
this guy went to town and back to make his dream (that Corvette), come true and he worked like hell for 5 years to make it happen. I appreciated his tenacity and envied his single minded drive to make his dream happen. In a way I should be that lucky to be that focused. :)

Yeah, but I bet he doesn't have anything even approaching the photo gear you have...

We all 'blow' our money on something that other people will think is pointless. Cars, cameras, guns, boats, guitars, telescopes, you get the point.
Most hobbies seem pretty expensive to those not in love with it.

My problem is that I love all of them, but can only afford to concentrate on one at a time.

Last edited:
^ Hmm. Wise words. :)

Some of my friends think that way about me, with my fancy-schmancy DSLR. But I saved up up for several years, and didn't spends $100s of dollars on new clothes every weekend.

And yes. I'm pretty sure envy is a major part of the "irk-age" :p I know that I turn positively green with envy when I get to my horseback riding lesson and see little girls with their own ponies (because mom thinks it's trendy), and I have to penny-pinch and think hard before I can see another lesson.

However, you have to start somewhere. I find it somewhat intimidating and daunting pulling out my XSi infront of other photographers, or riding in front of seasoned-riders, or what have you. I started learning photography by shooting auto and watching the numbers change, then moving up to the random modes and to manual. I'm sure I used the flash when I shouldn't have. But I learn by experience and seeing results, then altering things till I get it right.

On a recent vacation there were times I wished my 5DII had a popup flash. Seriously, there are actually times that great lighting doesn't matter.

I had one woman who wanted us to move a wall around like it was furniture for a certain piece of furniture. It was a wall I had already plumbed and, put the electrical in too. She changed her mind three times about what piece of furniture was going to go on that wal. By the time we were done the wall ended up where it had started. The owner balked when I hit him with the change charges because, the wall ended up in the same place.
No facepalm can express my feelings here. But, hey, you got paid for it :lol:

I asked you 3 times, yet you replied through someone else- avoidance.

I think the software is not the problem- excuse.
Heh, no honestly, I really meant to answer you before the third time ;)

I think because someone has equipment that costs more than yours, and does something you do not understand, it does not mean they have more money than brains.
Mmm...nope, I pretty much understand flash quite well.

Seriously, there are actually times that great lighting doesn't matter.
Sorry, I have to disagree. Lighting is the only matter.

Heh, no honestly, I really meant to answer you before the third time ;)

I still don't believe you answered my question at all. So, give it a shot now.

... when I see other people doing things so incorrectly that I could do so much better.

How do you know that?

-

I use the pop up flash on my D700 all the time with fast lenses! It's great!

I use it as a commander for my SB-600's and sometimes when i'm in a jam, i'll pop it up for fill light. Totally legit.

This was a HUGE grasshopper i found when I was down in Santa Barbara last week that I shot with my 24-120VR, JPEG, pop-up flash for fill. The 24-120 doesn't focus amazingly close, seriously this thing was longer then a AA battery!

This is straight out of camera, you can even see the dust spot in the lower right hand corner.

pop-up flashes are awesome!

dsc6174.jpg

I walk around with a fairly expensive Leica and get the same reaction from people like the OP. What they don't realize is that I have low expenses, work two jobs of decent income, pick and choose vices that provide enjoyment, and shop very smartly. I bet most of those people drive and spend more on expensive automotive loans and leases.

An intelligent person knows what they want and heads for it. A frivolous person can't figure out what they truly want and end up pissing money away trying to figure it out. Just like the post about the Corvette owner, you should try (I'm guilty of envy too) to not judge a person through a small window of opportunity.

As I said... Worry about the important stuff... making yourself happy.

An intelligent person knows what they want and heads for it. A frivolous person can't figure out what they truly want and end up pissing money away trying to figure it out. Just like the post about the Corvette owner, you should try (I'm guilty of envy too) to not judge a person through a small window of opportunity.

Well said.

I stopped by my 85 year ol Mommas on the way home last night, and she was trying to take a pic of her pet budgie, using the pop up flash on her point and shoot.
I dont think I can talk to her anymore. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back