This may be a silly question...(condensation in lenses)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by PerfectlyFlawed, Feb 22, 2010.

1. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was just thinking... I go to the Oregon coast alot; Its VERY moist..wet..rainy...misty..muggy.,. ( You name it..lol) so im concerned with moisture getting into lenses.. and whichever way it may ruin them.

My next trip wont be to far away and i have an entirely different camera set up now.. from point and shoot -----to slr. Before i didnt care if something happened to the Coolpix cam. But lense and stuff are spendy... so i want to make sure i dont screw this up ( hopefully its fool proof. lol )

So while shooting in moist areas--with fog-rain-marine layers-etc-- or ON the beach... with the salt in the air etc...

How do you keep the camera/lenses from getting condensation or mold and mildew...or anything mishaps in weather changes??????
    :confused:

2. Renol

Renol TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Most lenses can handle a little bit of humidity and moisture in the air, but the better the lens the better the weather sealing. The pro quality lenses offer the best weather sealing (and other benefits) but you pay for it. If you're shooting in areas with a lot of water spray or in rain a quick and easy way to protect the lens from the drops is to use a ziplock or other type of bag to cover up everything but the front element. As for moisture in the air, the bag will help keep condensation from forming on the outside of the lens but for the most part the weather sealing should be ok for fog/humid conditions. Also if you're bring the camera from a cold wet environment into someplace warm it'd be ideal to put the entire camera and lens in a seal-able plastic bag before you change locations (i.e. coming in from the rainy cold day into a warm house) and let the camera come to room temp before opening the bag. That keeps condensation from forming on or inside the camera.

I don't have all the answers though so hopefully someone else who knows more than me on this stuff will chime in with any other pointers.

3. hower610

hower610 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am going to assume, but my hunting scopes are filled with gas to prevent moisture/condensation on the inside. I am going to guess camera lenses may be the same. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't have weather sealed gear..... put a condom on them for protection if the mist is heavy or if she's saying "c'mere big boy".... Meaning, get a black sack along with some gaffers tape and fashion it around your gear to prevent moisture from entering the exposed connections. I would suggest using the Search function for more threads concerning this very situation (think weather seal). There are companies that cater products for this, but unfortunately...... I can't remember right now which ones are on my top list. Their contrapsions will fit most any dSLR with lenses ranging up to 200mm and then some. But at the end of the day.... a black sack works fine for a short outing.

5. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, they are considerably different, the rifel Scope does not have the moving parts or the electronics that a modern camera lens has.

6. hower610

hower610 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Makes sense, thanks for the correction. :thumbup:

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  8. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Keith........

Can you think of any rhyme or reason for the thanks BS? Obviously a rifel scope is different than a camera lens. I think I might check out HuntersRUs for playtime.

Maybe it's just me......... condensation works on many different apparattuses........................ I digress............................. NO, phuque it, I still don't understand............... <walks back into cave> Hrrrumph

9. manicmike

manicmike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Um I live in Oregon and haven't had a problem with the moisture. Then again, I don't shoot in waterfalls.

10. hower610

hower610 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since it seems to matter to you, I thanked him for correcting me. For what it's worth, my Bushnell DOA Rifle scope is filled with dry nitrogen to help prevent fogging and condensation. So I thought that the same technology may have applied to camera lenses. So I was wrong, big deal.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It would be around North bend, coos bay bandon---that area of the coast. I just wasn't sure. Better to be safe then throw all that money down the drain. Ya know?

12. manicmike

manicmike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh I understand. Not sure how much different the coast is, I'm about 2 hours from Coos Bay.