This May Be The Dumbest Question Ever

bp4life71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shouldnt the + and - buttons on my canon xs (upper right on back of camera) zoom in and out on my 18-55 kit lense? Or can I only do this by hand?

I press them and it does nothing...do I really need to zoom in and out using my hands? I thought that it would do it automatically by pressing one of those buttons.

no they are just for viewing on the LCD after you shoot,
you have to turn the lens

Sorry guys. I have been point and shoot all my life. I just opened up the box and was looking for the ZOOM buttons...lol. Go ahead and laugh at my expense. Its part of me GROWING up with the new equipment.

I'll post some of the most amateurish photos ever shortly!

I'm confused, with the time it took you to search and post on this site you could have just RTFM, right? However, it would be pretty sweet to have a motorized zoom on a DSLR! I'm sure it's not too far off!

bp4life71, at first your Q does appear to be as you so eloquently put in your title but on the second look, you are a perfect example why folks who want to buy an slr should really obtain some form of photography education (not necessarily formal) prior to purchasing. I do apologize if it is insulting to you and I mean absolutely no disrespect but you just spend probably around $500 if not more on the set up you have and don't understand basics of SLR cameras...

When you opened the box, there should have been one of these:

Canon XS Manual

If you didn't have one for some reason, now you do in PDF format. I suggest you read it. It's probably the most helpful advice we can give you.

:D

When you opened the box, there should have been one of these:

Canon XS Manual

If you didn't have one for some reason, now you do in PDF format. I suggest you read it. It's probably the most helpful advice we can give you.
That is a LOT of effort - finding one and linking it here :thumbup:

I went to the Canon site to look up / download the user manual for this question because it seemed quite a simple question. The site is confusing to me...... but then again, I normally go to Nikon's site and have no difficulty finding user manuals. Could just be me............

bp4life71, at first your Q does appear to be as you so eloquently put in your title but on the second look, you are a perfect example why folks who want to buy an slr should really obtain some form of photography education (not necessarily formal) prior to purchasing. I do apologize if it is insulting to you and I mean absolutely no disrespect but you just spend probably around $500 if not more on the set up you have and don't understand basics of SLR cameras...

How does assuming that you can zoom in with the zoom buttons on the camera mean I don't understand the "basics" of SLR cameras?

That was simply a function that I thought was motorized. I COMPLETELY understand the basics of slr cameras. I understand how ISO, aperatures, etc work together. I simply thought that the zoom would be like my point and shoot, motorized. That has no bearing on the "basics" of slr. I have admittedly self-educated myself only in the past week. I am completely familiar with the "basics" of the cameras and how each function effects the other. I just thought that the zoom was motorized...thats it.

Way to take a jab at a newbie, I can take good criticism, but this was just you wanting to bring in your better than thou mentality.

THe next time you dont mean to "insult" someone......well, just dont do it.

Thanks for a post that offered NOTHING to anyone.....

And its called "aperture" not "aperature". I will second the reading the manual idea. I usually do it when I get a new camera while the batteries are charging for the first time.

And its called "aperture" not "aperature". I will second the reading the manual idea. I usually do it when I get a new camera while the batteries are charging for the first time.

Certainly the OP should have looked in the manual but don't pile it on because of a misspelling, especially when it's the most misspelled word in this forum frequently by those with thousands of posts.

Most reactions

Back