This Might Be A Stupid Question...

Dean_Gretsch

Papa
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...but is there a way to keep your lens from frosting up in the winter/cold weather?

Store it in the freezer for a couple of hours before you go out?

The problem is the difference in temperature between the camera and the outside air so you need to do something to get the camera temperature to be close to the outside temperature. I set the camera in the car or on the porch a few hours before going out.
If it does fog up all you can really do is wait. You can wipe the outside of the lens and get a shot but it will probably be still a little fogged.

Condensation only forms when a cool/cold surface is moved into a warm/hot humid environment.
If you warm the cool/cold surface before moving it to the temperature of the warm/hot humid environment condensation will not form.

Moving a warm lens out into cold air does not cause condensation, but going back into a warm house with a cold camera could cause condensation to form if the humidity inside is high enough.

The front lens element can cool to less than the ambient air temperature.
It happens to my telescopes if I don't take precautions.
I use a dew shield on my finder scopes and on the main optical tubes of my telescopes.
The dew shield I add to my 12" 1500 mm focal length telescope when I anticipate dew on my optics will be a problem is 20 inches (50 mm) long.
The dew shield for my 25 mm focal length finder scope is 11.5 mm long.

A lens hood can function as a dew shield, but lens hoods tend to be short so they don't vignette the lens field of view. To make a dew shield long enough for a camera lens that has a short focal length isn't practical.

Last edited:
don't forget to pack extra batteries and keep them warm

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I find it funny that I had been doing these things all along with my point and shoots. I figured there had to be more tricks than what common sense says to do lol.

Most reactions

Back