his4ever

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stonecafecreations.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
oldhouse2.jpg

I know of at least one problem (that I cannot fix post-process... it is something that I need to look out for next time(the blownout sky))... but what is your thougts? (I added the noise btw). I was practicing rule of thirds. Please let me know if I made it and anyother thoughts :D Thanks!!

Composition is OK, altho the picture is made difficult and less interesting by the extreme dark, dull shadow tones.

I don't get the reason for the residual color in the plants in the foreground.

PS. a larger picture would be nice.

Here is a larger image... sorry about that :D
oldhouse3.jpg

I think I desaturated it at one point and forgot to finish doing it. Bummer Thank you for commenting Traveler. I think I fooled around with curves around one point and I know that might do that. There's two points against me :D. I'll have to pay more attention next time. Is the sky distracting? I wish I would have had a split ND filter when I took this picture.

Actually I think the flat sky goes with the mood. This could be a nice moody shot with a little separation of the lower tones that, hopefully, will separate foreground bushes from trees.
Throw in some vignetting and maybe even a sepia tone and this could end up quite interesting.

The composition is ok. I don't like how the trees and the corn all kind of blend together. It would be cool if the trees weren't there, that would IMO give it better balance.

The shot has a nice 'Bates Motel/Psycho' look to it. The slight tilt to the right throws me, and there's a bit too much on the bottom.

the shot iteself is great!!! I love the house and how the paint is peeling off, adds to the creepness of the shot...

Is this a print that is scanned or a digital image?

Seems like a print...maybe its the grain you added

The birds add so much to photo and give it the 'Hitchcock' feel!!

I also would love to see it in sepia and maybe a little more detail in the sky!!

Well done
garrentee

To garrentee:
It is a digital image. I added some more grain to give it an older feel to it. I am working on a new version of it since all the suggestions. Sepia I may go... I might also get rid of the noise.

The birds were a blessing... one of those moments where I clicked the shutter at just the right time. :D My other shots of the house look a little boring without the life of the birds helping.

To everyone:
I also cloned out some power lines that were crossing infront of the house I think detracting from the coolness of this place.

BTW Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I have learned so much!!!! :D

Ok I took all of your suggestions. Just wanted to show you guys the updates I made... This is for sure the finial picture. And I promise that I will not post another picture on this thread again :D.

oldhousefinal2.jpg

I took all of your suggestions. I think for now on I will post my pictures in the other critique part so I will not cause any problems. Thanks for your guys's comments!!

This photo reminds me of the movie Birds. Thats what I notice the most in the photo. I like the creepy feel to it.

would have been nice if you could close up on a gardener with a sharp and shiny tool, cutting grasses on the foreground, or a couple of kids running around, playing. the picture is empty... its not telling any stories.

I too tried out the rule of thirds many a time. have a look at number 4 here : http://www.turboshots.net/gallery/en/portfolio/content/index.html; its a simple one.

would have been nice if you could close up on a gardener with a sharp and shiny tool, cutting grasses on the foreground, or a couple of kids running around, playing. the picture is empty... its not telling any stories.

I too tried out the rule of thirds many a time. have a look at number 4 here : http://www.turboshots.net/gallery/en/portfolio/content/index.html; its a simple one.

Thanks for sharing you thoughts. It was good for me to see that picture you took. I did not know that Rule of Thirds could be something in the lower part of the picture. I am going to have to try that :D

I agree with the story part. I took three shots of this house. Two of them do not have birds flying in them and this was the only one that did. Infact.. this was the worst of the bunch. I took it at the wrong white balance setting so it came out very blue. But the birds added life to the picture and that is why I chose it. I like your idea about having a human in the picture... but the house is empty... so I think that the lack of human life in the picture really tells a story. Thanks for your thoughts.... a man with a shiny sharp thing would make the picture creeper (not that I am going for the creepy look...)

Most reactions

Back