This or that? *Nikon Wide Angle

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Hooligan Dan, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Hooligan Dan

Hooligan Dan No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So, I'm in the market for a new wide angle. I want to replace the sigma I've been using. It's not bad, but it's not a nikon and it has it's flaws. So I'm trying to decide between the $1500 AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED and the $1600 AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED.

I'm having trouble finding sample images for both which is making it more difficult to decide. NikonUSA claims that the 17-35 is the standard for photojournalism(which is what I do for a living) and I like the 35mm max, but I also like the 14mm end of things of the 14-24 and on paper it seems to have better optical capabilities.

Anybody have some experience or shots with either? It would be much appreciated.

Oh, and it's for a D300.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It all depends what you think you will be using. If you like shooting very wide photos (not necessarily landscape), then, obviously, the 14-24 would be best for you. Go into a camera store and ask to try each one out. Take a few photos with each lens at various apertures & focal lengths, then go home and look at them on a computer (possibly print some crops out). Remember: Just because you tried the lens there doesn't mean you have to buy it from there!

If you really want the extra zoom of the 17-35, then have you looked at the $1,200 Nikon AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G lens? I've heard a lot of good things about it, and I'm even dreaming of getting one now! But yet again, try it out before you buy. That way you will certainly not be disappointed.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not a Nikon aficionado...but have you considered the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 ?

I know a Canon user or two, who use this one over the 10-22mm

4. Hooligan Dan

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've actually used that lens, and it's nice, but I'm trying to avoid DX formats. That's the other reason I want to ditch the sigma. In the long run I'm also saving for a D3(or what ever model Nikon will update to in due time) and I'd like to have lenses formatted to both DX and FX so I can have a main and backup body and not worry about which lens is where.

My sigma is 17-55 and I find myself not to dependent on the 55mm end of things. As many photojournalist have said, "if your photos aren't good enough you're not close enough." ;)

I'll call the shop and see if they have the lenses on hand, but I doubt they do.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's a common problem for a lot of shooters. They want the ultra wide angle for their crop body, but don't want to buy the DX/EF-S lenses.
    I think the best/only solution is just to suck it up...buy the lens and use it or buy the full frame camera now. Lenses hold their value pretty well, so you can always sell it when you do upgrade the camera.

6. Trenton Romulox

Trenton Romulox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 on a D300. I've been using it since January or so, and it's worked out quite well. The lens is sharp, very sharp, there's no question about it. It's a bit bulky, but it's still a manageable size. I'm not sure what kind of samples you're looking for, but I can maybe find something for you if you just tell me more specifically what sort of sample you'd want to see from it.

7. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can usually get a few example images as well as a pretty good review from photozone.de

I agree with Big Mike to get what you need for what you have at the moment.

This may be too wide for your needs, but I have the Nikkor 12-24mm f/4, yes, it's a DX mount, but it works great on my D300. It's under $1K and I expect it to retain much of it's original price.

8. Hooligan Dan

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I understand where you guys are coming from, but if I already have a 17-55 2.8 in DX and I don't like it, why would I buy another one that would just have to be replaced yet again when I get a full framed body?

Why not knock a step out and buy a lens now that can be used on either censor?