This price just seems too good to be true

Rise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
...meaning that it probably is. I've only used ebay a few times but i came across this:

NEW Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera +2 VR Lens +16GB - eBay (item 350202393696 end time Jun-14-09 07:54:19 PDT)

That price seems cheap for all what you get. What's the deal with ads like this? He's selling all kinds of stuff.

FWIW, I asked many times on a number of boards and forums about prices that appear to be really, really low. I've never gotten a definitive answer.

For instance, I'd see a D300 somewhere for, let's say, $899. All I wanted to know was if anyone had ever tried to buy at that advertised price from a given retailer, and what happened if they did.

No answer.

I think someone had to have attempted to grab one of those low prices, maybe they got really screwed, but I am certain they tried. All I ever wanted to know is what happened, what the experience was. What kind of BS a buyer got tossed at them when they tried to buy at the advertised low price. Maybe no one wants to admit they gave it a shot...and they got taken big time.

That said, I buy from nowhere except B&H. Very reliable, very. Ordered from them last night, the order shipped this afternoon. Conceivably, it could be at my door tomorrow.

If it sounds to good to be true it is. Its most likely a scam if its like an online store but IDK about ebay. But anyway most of the accessories they list are the things that are in the box already even if you bought it at B&H or Adorama. The other ones like the tripod and card reader for example are really bad quality. The tripod is probably worth at most $25 and the card reader $5. The card is also probably a no name brand and will die on you very fast. The flash is probably an old flash that is worth at most $50 and most likley manual, meaning no iTTL. Lens cleaning kit=$4 LCD Screen Protectors=$3. The lenses are not the highest quality so I would actually say the price is a bit high. I say go to B&H or Adorama or Amozon and order from them.

It does look too good to be true, maybe imports? Look at the seller's other auctions and you'll find a D300 with 4 lenses for about $1,600. I have been burned in the past so I wouldn't even think about it. About 8 years ago I jumped all over an auction for 2 F-5's for $2,500. Never received the cameras, the guy closed his email account and disappeared. I should have known better. Paypal wouldn't do anything for me either other than investigate and determine that it was fraud. If it looks too good to be true...RUN.

The thing with ebay is the notion that you've won something by being the successful bidder. I cannot count the times I've seen used high-end gear sell on ebay for prices way beyond brand new and out of the box equipment. It happens all the time. To state the obvious, millions love ebay...I'm not one of them, never bought a thing there and doubt I ever would.

Maybe five or six years ago I badly wanted a Yashica Mat 124G and kept checking ebay for one in decent shape. Keep in mind that this was a TLR that sold new for maybe $200 back in the 80s. (Some discount houses would put one in your hand for closer to $125 from what I was told, and there was a time when they were sold everywhere.) People were asking and getting $500-600 and beyond for this camera on-line. I found a really sweet 124G in a local shop for $150. FWIW, it's a great camera, but film was then and this is now, and now is digital. My 124G collects dust with all my other film rigs, although I do fire the shutter on all of them several times a month.

IF and I mean IF the camera and lenses are USA models with Nikon USA warranties the price is a decent deal. It's really not that low though if they are import models. The auction only states new in box, but nothing about warranty.

Now for the items in the auction. Flash is junk, tripods are junk, SD card is an ebay off brand cheapie (will work though), bag is ok. 5 of the items listed are included with the camera anyway.

I would email them, not call the 800 number. And specificaly ask if they items are Nikon USA items. I say email becasue you can save it, if the items come in and are not Nikon USA. The you have proof. Over the phone they can tell you what you want to hear.

Ivariably the answer to...

"...is this a scam?"
"...is this too good to be true?"
"...etc."

Is invariably yes.

If anything is off from B&H or Adorama by anything more than like 2% there's like no way.

Ok. I'll tell you what happened when I tried to get a deal like this... It was on an iPod a few years ago that someone was selling brand new for a pretty low price... eBay contacted me and told me that it was a scam. Then, they put the money back in my PayPal account... I think they may have even tried to find the person or something... I really don't know because they just emailed me and told me it was fake or something... I can't even remember it that well, actually... Haha That one was way less legitimate looking than this page is, but still... It's probably better to be safe than sorry in this kind of situation... Good luck!

Yeah, it really seems like a scam. It is too risky to go for something like that especially if we're talking about more than a thousand bucks. Just look into the more reputable sellers out there.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

Most reactions

Back