This sucks :(

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have determined that I officially need a piece of black fabric and a piece of white fabric in order to continue using my "studio"... the 2 pieces of poster board just isn't working for me for this specific shot (and some others that I have attempted before) because you can see where they make the 90 degree angle and it looks crappy... Guess I'll be running to the store tomorrow :/

082.jpg

081.jpg

Settings: f/16, 4s shutter speed, ISO 800, 55mm for both pics

the key to any drop is to not have a 90˚ angle like that; but, rather, pull the bottom of the drop forward until you get a nice, gentle, 45˚ curve at the bottom ... *poof* seamless backdrop.

You also want to avoid seamed pieces of fabric (like in the first shot) seams do not photograph well ...

Can't quite do that with this set up because the candles have to be on the surface... The surface under the black posterboard is a cream colored table... Probably would have looked worse... I have tried pulling them away from each other a bit though... never quite seems to work for me... :/

as for the candles being on the surface, they are, they just aren't right against the back of the drop there may be a few inches between the candles and the back of the drop ...

I do, however, like the smoothness of the bottom surface in the second image.

As a side note, putting candles on a piece of cloth like that is probably not the best idea D:

I sell candles ...

I assure you, I know what I'm doing ;)

The candles were lit for the 5 minutes it took me to set up and take these two shots... The candles were 3-4 inches in front of the closest to the camera part of the fabric... Nothing was going to catch on fire ;)

Ok well if it does, promise to take pictures of it at least?

she's right there while she is taking these pictures, I don't see an issue with it as long as she isn't leaving them unattended for any length of time.

*cue Beavis and Butthead*
"Yeah, FIRE ... ah huh huh haha" "mmm YEAH, FIRE!! HA HA HA"

lol will do Dylan ;)

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Can you see a crease or 90 degree bend here?
788760916_sKyJn-M.jpg

That was just a quick shot for TPF Fight Club a couple Sunday's ago.
I used a black leather CD case for the bottom, and then a black leather (kinda big) portfolio album for the back.

When you have a background so close to the subject, and right against the bottom material, you will get spill light that will illuminate the background. When this occurs, it will give you a highlight and a shadow in the crease, defining it.
If you move them apart so there is no spill, then your background can stay black.

Even if you get a sweep, if you put the candles close to the bend, you will illuminate it and make it look poor.

I say, work with what you have, it's very possible. Look at how light in/around your shots shows up on your camera. Then do some creative thinking to minimize it. Get is real close and then fine tune in post.

Dom, a little more PP would have done wonders to make those orange pills blue! *LOL*

Sarah - I'm not sure what type of shooting you are doing, but if it's the type of stuff above....got buy a cheap $10 sheet (or a few). I have one black sheet and one white sheet that I use when I take baby portraits. The texture of the fabric can easily be removed in post to make it look like a seamless background and you can avoid angles by draping it over something.

Both of these galleries used nothing except a black or white sheet with post on the sheet to remove detail (except the outside shots of course)
Nathanael Siders Photography | Peyton Bock

Nathanael Siders Photography | Lillian Snelson

First gallery was with some practice...second gallery was my first time attempting that setup (and first ever portrait session) so excuse the quality of some of the shots in the second link.

You will never light a white background with candles it will look dirty grey
Had a very quick play not sure it looks better though
814094259_gA6oG-L.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back