This weeks Nikon announcement.. Place your bets!

Personally, and this is just personal preference, it wouldn't break my heart if they threw out video, automatic scene / facial recognition, scene modes, dynamic area autofocus, and several other dubious bells and/or whistles and used the resultant memory for something actually useful like a larger shot buffer.

Personally, and this is just personal preference, it wouldn't break my heart if they threw out video, automatic scene / facial recognition, scene modes, dynamic area autofocus, and several other dubious bells and/or whistles and used the resultant memory for something actually useful like a larger shot buffer.

I would have to say all those features are used more often than folks maxing out the buffer.

I would have to say all those features are used more often than folks maxing out the buffer.
That would vary from person to person, and as I said that was my personal preference.

I have 3 bodies that have video capabilities, I've had a half-dozen cell phones with video capabilities and a few point-ant-shoot cameras with video capabilities. I have never once, not one single time, ever shot a video with any of them. I don't use scene modes or dynamic area autofocus either. I do, however, regularly run out of shot buffer space. As in several times a day on my D7000.

My D7000 was a learning tool. So I understand the reasoning NOT to have them. But then without them, where would I be?

The outside environmental specifications of the D7000 is what had me buy it, and strictly to attaching it to telescopes. A D5100 ? .. nope, it would have been dead by now.

Then I learned that I could point it to more terrestial objects and the learning began. Much better than my old film N80. I learned Auto, then I learned Scene Modes .. and learned and learned and learned and I'm still learning though I can reproduce those scene modes in Manual now.

If I had only the features of a true photographers only camera ... I would never have pointed it to anything and it probably would just collect dust.
I guess that's why they have the D4 etc

and I've shot video with my D7000, iPhone, previous phones (though they were junk), and several P&S .... seeing the kids in video can be exhiliarting as you can listen to them too :) To me, video has it's place if you use it.

I had a D90 for 4 or 5 year and can't ever remember using the video feature, except for maybe one or two videos of my dogs that never made it to the hard drive. And I had a D7000 for the last year that I know I never even attempted to use.

That would vary from person to person, and as I said that was my personal preference.

I have 3 bodies that have video capabilities, I've had a half-dozen cell phones with video capabilities and a few point-ant-shoot cameras with video capabilities. I have never once, not one single time, ever shot a video with any of them. I don't use scene modes or dynamic area autofocus either. I do, however, regularly run out of shot buffer space. As in several times a day on my D7000.

Good for you, I never use the cruise control in my car, but I don't complain when it is installed. I am not seeing your point. All the features you mentioned don't change the buffer nor do they take away from increasing it.

That's why the D300, D300s D700 etc were made ...

Thom Hogan did a story a few months ago where he talked about 'last camera syndrome'... In a nut shell.. at some point most people get a camera that has everything they need.. and its their last camera.
Last Camera Syndrome | byThom | Thom Hogan

I shoot video all the time (weekly) on my D7100 and D7000 before it.. I want 4K video.. I want 120FPS.. I want more video control.. I want more tech that makes my shooting easier (pro level wifi & gps).. I am very far away from my 'last camera'.

A lot of you sound like your close to (if not already at) your 'last camera'.

Hopefully Nikon caters to users that will make many purchases in the future... vs. the ones that won't.

Good for you, I never use the cruise control in my car, but I don't complain when it is installed. I am not seeing your point. All the features you mentioned don't change the buffer nor do they take away from increasing it.
Good for you! As I said, personal preference.

That's why the D300, D300s D700 etc were made ...
Not enough resolution for me. Again, personal preference.

A lot of you sound like your close to (if not already at) your 'last camera'..

I think I'm probably at that point.

To tell you the truth, my D90 was probably all the camera that I ever needed. I made wonderful images with it, and made a good amount of money with it too. I can still kick myself in the ass for selling it last year in order to move up to a D7000.

However, having just traded the D7K for a low mileage (14K actuations) D700, I think I have truly arrived at the 'last camera'.

In fact, My digital/film combination of a D700 and F100 has me seriously thinking about selling my Hasselblad kit and a few other film cameras.

I predict it will be one more reason why my next camera won't be a Nikon.

That's what I said a couple weeks ago.

And the reality set in and I started looking at how much money I had invested in lenses, and flashes, and pocket wizards, and... and... and...

And after you add all that up, and then subtracting the amount of money I would have lost selling on the used market, switching systems ended up not being as important as I thought it was.

I have no intention of switching systems. I would be adding systems.

I'm happy with my Nikon FX and DX bodies. I'm looking for a M43/mirrorless body and large sensor compact.
Nikon is not yet providing what I'm looking for, but then I'm not quite ready to buy either.

A lot of you sound like your close to (if not already at) your 'last camera'.

Hopefully Nikon caters to users that will make many purchases in the future... vs. the ones that won't.

i actually went and read that story from beginning to end, and I must say, I have a newly discovered respect for Thom Hogan.

And unless a D3/D3s happens to come across my path, or someone freely gives me a D4, I'd be willing to bet that the D700 will be my "last camera".

WTH??? no one is fired up about a 58mm F1.4 for $2400??? Sounds like Nikon is really focusing on those entry level products...

Most reactions

Back