This would have been heaven for some of you..

you also live in the valley? Sweet.

But Seriously, your photos are very good, especially since you're at the Rose parade in 'dena. Not everyone here gets to grab a good spot like you did. What lens did you use?

Why yes, I am a Valley Girl!! = ) I live in Northridge. Where are you? Next year we plan to spend the night in Pasadena- = ) Those floats are beautiful up close and personal. We were pretty close. Next year I want to be in the first row of people so I can walk into the street and take pictures of them coming my way.. if the Sheriff would allow that.. Wow, they were in FULL force this morning!

I mostly take pictures so I have them to put in an album. I make one for me, and one for both my boys to take wit them when they move out (they are 5 and 10.) I want them to remember that I did take them places and did things with them. So, even if they don't remember I have a few pictures in a album I have made online...you all know which ones I am talking about,right) While my pictures don't have to be great for that. I do hope that one day I can take a picture like some of you all.

This is gonna shock you but I live in Granada Hills, super close to where you live. Born and raised in North Hollywood, lived in the valley my whole entire life.

Firstly, your pix are NOT horrible. I agree with the thought that an event of this magnitude requires some discipline to focus on smaller subjects and capture them. The street-photography concept works well with this. If you don't do something like that, your images lose a point of interest. I like the image of the kid with the blanket on his head -- too bad its a little out of focus or it would be an excellent example of what I mean.

Check out Javier's link here for some ideas:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photo-themes/169495-capture-stranger-street-style.html

Firstly, your pix are NOT horrible. I agree with the thought that an event of this magnitude requires some discipline to focus on smaller subjects and capture them. The street-photography concept works well with this. If you don't do something like that, your images lose a point of interest. I like the image of the kid with the blanket on his head -- too bad its a little out of focus or it would be an excellent example of what I mean.

Check out Javier's link here for some ideas:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photo-themes/169495-capture-stranger-street-style.html

I have looked at that post several times. In fact right before Christmas I had to take a trip down to the 3rd Street in Santa Monica.. I took my camera but didn't have the nerve to take any pictures. The kids with the blanket is my 10 year old.

I agree that a venue like this is almost impossible to compose and not make it look busy... I think you did good - nothing to be ashamed of for sure..

I used to live in Arcadia - right next to Santa Anita racetrack.. We went to the parade every year.. I wasn't into photography at that time, but I remember that we could walk around the floats at the 'end' of the parade - they used to park them all together and the public had a chance to get as close as we wanted - the smell was incredible, and ......... offers a wonderful opportunity for some great photographs - if they still do that.. It would be there that I think would be a fantastic photo-op. You could walk right up to them and inspect all of the flowers and seeds - the detail is amazing, and would make some great pictures.. See if they still offer that opportunity next year - in the meantime.. I like the shot of your son the best .. :mrgreen:

Ottor,

They still let you look at the floats at the end. You have to pay to do that! = ) I tried to do it last year with my kids but we got lost looking for the place that they had they floats. This year we took the metro we picked it up past the parade in Pasadena so we were against the crowds going home on the metro. It didn't make sense when my friend told me where we were getting on the metro.. but it was perfectly clear when we were leaving.. We didn't have a line to get on our metro.. the people going to union station did.

Thank you all for being so gentle with me.

Ottor,

They still let you look at the floats at the end. You have to pay to do that! = )

Hrrrumph...... Saddened, but not suprized.. :grumpy: What a shame..

Ottor,

They still let you look at the floats at the end. You have to pay to do that! = )

Hrrrumph...... Saddened, but not suprized.. :grumpy: What a shame..

Can I share with you that on the metro ride back to my care I met a man that was, I'd say in his late 70's. He has only missed two of The Rose Parades since 1939!!:D What a pleasure it was to meet him and to hear his stories!!!

Most reactions

Back