Thom Hogan's Sweet & Sour

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If anyone hasn't read this article from Thom Hogan yet, I highly recommend it. He really seems to know his stuff.

He basically talks about which Nikon gear as of 2018 is sweet or sour. So if anyone is looking to invest in a Nikon system, this is great first start into researching.

Sweet and Sour | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

He really seems to know his stuff.
Except for certain statements.

After having read reviews by others, this article sounds to me as if he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Or is simply shilling Nikon gear for the kickbacks.

I'm waiting to see what @Derrel says hehe.

I personally do agree with some of his statements. Such as the 24-120 f/4 VR. There is a large sample variation.

I partially agree with his thoughts of the 16-35 f/4 VR. But I really enjoyed mine and I'd have zero problems using one again but I do agree that it needs to be updated with better optics to handle high MP sensors and better distortion control.

I can relate to his comment about the XT2

Pretty good read. Not sure why he is sour on the Nikon 50mm crop, but then again I haven't compared them to any other make,, so maybe I just don't have the info he has. I've personally not met a nikon 50mm that was bad. Ever.

Pretty good read. Not sure why he is sour on the Nikon 50mm crop, but then again I haven't compared them to any other make,, so maybe I just don't have the info he has. I've personally not met a nikon 50mm that was bad. Ever.
I bet he is comparing to a Fujifilm 50, which blows it away. Actually, after using Fujifilm for a year now, their glass is way better imo.

Haha I have half his sour sauce and it's sweet

I have no problems with the 50 1.8G, I agree on that one. Not sure why he doesn't like it.

But then again, I am finding 50mm to be quite boring.

I have no problems with the 50 1.8G, I agree on that one. Not sure why he doesn't like it.

But then again, I am finding 50mm to be quite boring.
Since he doesn't delve into his reasons for any of his "sweet and sour" choices, I assume he has made those choices based on (possibly) some other person's preferences.

Such as Nikon's sales team, for instance.

I love what he says about the 58mm; cause that's exactly how i feel. Same thing about the 105mm (which I want to buy next).

The 50mm lens, in all its iterations, has been one of the easiest and least expensive lenses to engineer and produce, but they remain a very utilitarian if somewhat unimpressive focal length, and many are very good.

I would like to see his reasons for any of the choices.

The d5600 was dismissed because of its noise gain, but he gave the d5500 a very good write up last year. The d5600 is apparently the d5500 with snapbridge and an intervalometer

.....but I will be biased on this, I own a 50 a 24-120 and a d5600, so basically my kit is (rhymes with kit)

I seldom read Hogan since I stopped buying Nikon gear a couple of years ago. No interest in shoveling any more $$$ into a DSLR system I've no plans to upgrade or expand. Thom's long made the mistake of passing off his opinions as Solomonic wisdom on anything photo related. Perhaps he's cranking out stuff like this in response to falling traffic.

The 50mm lens, in all its iterations, has been one of the easiest and least expensive lenses to engineer and produce, but they remain a very utilitarian if somewhat unimpressive focal length, and many are very good.

I would like to see his reasons for any of the choices.

the optics are kinda weak compared to some of the Canon ones... the 1.8g is cheap, and the bokeh is too.

Most reactions

Back