Those friggin lenses...

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, now i´ve been flirting with the Nikon 200D(i´m such a whore:wink:) and it seems like i couldn´t find a 50mm F1.8 for digi.

But besides, what other lense would you recommend and besides, does it have to be a Nikon lense? As long as the quality is there, i wouldnt mind saving a buck or two..let me know you guys...thanks..

do you own it yet? Are you looking for a 50mm period? cause the 200D is a 1.5x, so you'd need a 33mm to have true 50. or do you mean a 50mm, taking into account its really a 75mm on the 200D?

google is our friend....
NIKON 50mm F1.8 Click here

you got me lost...i dont understand what you just said..canyou break it down to me in more common terms? thanks!:)

If you put a 50mm lens on the D200, it becomes the equivalent of a 75mm lens on a non-digital camera (that's what he meant by the 1.5x). The reason a lot of people like 50mm lenses on non-digitals is that they give a view that's sort of like what our eyes normally see, not too wide, not too narrow. If you put the 50mm on the digital, you'll get a more narrow view than you might like. If you want that "normal" view on the digital, you need a lens of about 33mm (times 1.5 gives you about 50).

You still with me?

My question: Why do you feel like you need a new lens? Why not just use your 28-80mm? What you might then consider is getting a wider angle lens some time in the future, but that might not be an immediate need.

As to your other question, the ONLY reason I spend money on Nikon cameras is because they let me use Nikon lenses. The only time I've had a non-Nikon lens (it was a Tokina), I've been disappointed. I ended up trading the lens in for a much more expensive Nikon, and I'm very glad I did.

My choice would be to but the LEAST expensive body that suits my needs and buy the MOST expensive glass.

Rick Mark said:
My choice would be to but the LEAST expensive body that suits my needs and buy the MOST expensive glass.

So what would you recommend as far as cam and lenses?

Rick Mark said:

I agree for the most part, especially with film cams, but when it comes to digi I think the body becomes quite important too. If the D200 range is what he's looking for, then maybe a D70 will suffice, or maybe the D200 has some extra features he likes/needs. So with a DSLR, it doesn't pay as well to skimp on the body and spend everything on glass. Glass definitely is important, but so is the sensor. It's all a matter of balance I suppose.

Unimaxium said:
I agree for the most part, especially with film cams, but when it comes to digi I think the body becomes quite important too. If the D200 range is what he's looking for, then maybe a D70 will suffice, or maybe the D200 has some extra features he likes/needs. So with a DSLR, it doesn't pay as well to skimp on the body and spend everything on glass. Glass definitely is important, but so is the sensor. It's all a matter of balance I suppose.

This is true. And I probably spoke up without knowing all the facts. In fact, I'm just shopping for my first DSLR right now and I realized just yesterday that the D50 and D70 do not suit my needs. I'm going for a D200 because it will evidently work better with my manual Nikon lenses.

sincere said:
So what would you recommend as far as cam and lenses?

I actually can't give you a recommendation. I'm just shopping for my first DSLR right now and trying to decide what I should buy. It looks like I'll be getting a D200 because that body will let me use my Nikon manual lenses, something I can't do with a D50 or D70.

But I won't be buying any new lenses, at least not right away. I've never bought a new camera body before, and spending nearly $2,000 for this one is quite a leap for me and a huge chunk of my budget. I have no more money for lenses at this point.

My question to you was: since you already own a decent Nikon lens, why do you feel you need to buy another one? What is it you're looking for in a lens?

I might also ask: what is it that you're looking for in a camera body? Why are you choosing the D200 over the D70? I only ask since you say you'd like to save money on the lens. Would it possibly make sense to save money on the body instead and then you'd have more money for a better lens?

I´ve been thinking about wich brand i should go for and Canon is defenitely very tempting but i think i will go for Nikon..it seems like Canon is giving so much more to the people inbetween their releases where fro a Nikon D50, 70 or 100, compared to the 200 is a huge difference..if those 70 or 100 where better, i would have went for that...

The 28-80 is denfeitely good, i really like but i would like to step it up so i was thinking of a Sigma AF 18-200/3,5-6,3. They seem a lot better than Tamron. What do you guys think?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back