Thoughts and suggestions on my first posted photograph?

brent1909

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I opened my new Nikon D5000 yesterday and took my first photographs. My grandfather is a photographer and has "passed the mantle" on to me to be the next family photographer. He supplied me with my D5000 and two Nikkor lenses. Here is one of the pics I took yesterday. Please let me know what you think and what I can do to take better pics. Here is all the info about the pic (kind of lengthy, but you'll find everything you're looking for)

File Info 1
File: Magnolia Bee4.JPG
Date Created: 5/10/2010 11:33:54 AM
Date Modified: 5/10/2010 11:40:23 AM
File Size: 2.34 MB
Image Size: L (4288 x 2848)
File Info 2
Date Shot: 5/10/2010 11:33:54.50
World Time: UTC-6, DST:ON
Image Quality: Jpeg Normal (8-bit)
Artist:
Copyright:
Image Comment:
Camera Info
Device: Nikon D5000
Lens: VR 55-200mm F/4-5.6G
Focal Length: 190mm
Focus Mode: AF-A
AF-Area Mode: Auto
VR: ON
AF Fine Tune:
Exposure
Aperture: F/10
Shutter Speed: 1/200s
Scene Mode: Auto
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (ISO 200)
Flash
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Flash Mode: Built-in, i-TTL-BL
Flash Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Colored Gel Filter:
Image Settings
White Balance: Auto, 0, 0
Color Space: sRGB
High ISO NR: OFF
Long Exposure NR: OFF
Active D-Lighting: Auto
Image Authentication:
Vignette Control:
Auto Distortion Control: OFF
Picture Control
Picture Control: [SD] STANDARD
Base:
Quick Adjust: -
Sharpening: Auto
Contrast: Active D-Lighting
Brightness: Active D-Lighting
Saturation: Auto
Hue: 0
Filter Effects:
Toning:
GPS
Latitude:
Longitude:
Altitude:
Altitude Reference:
Heading:
UTC:
Map Datum:

Here is my website with the pic: for some reason I am not able to attach an image...

Brent's Pictures: Magnolia Tree Refuge

Thanks!

Brent, Welcome to TPF! :) The image composition looks like a good angle. I might crop it, possibily vertically. Hard to say, I would try a couple different things. The image is kind of small, so it's hard to make too many judgements. Looking forward to seeing more of your work, as this looks like it has some good possiblities.

Do you have a gallery you can load a larger version up to? I think Picasa lets you do that, and when viewing provides a link only that you can use to post a larger version here. (Use the photo/camera icon next to the URL icon to past the photo link which will display the image).

I like it a lot. I was wondering about the image quality but then I read some of your comments. I have that same problem with many of my pictures. Smaller versions of the images just don't do them justice.

Thanks guys! I created a picasa album and linked my blog pic to it so you can see a better/larger pic now. Please check it out so you can let me know of some areas to work on. Have a good one!:D

here is my blog link again

Brent's Pictures

and what I can do to take better pics.

The best thing you can do is learning about visual composition and what makes a good photograph. Also learn about the technical side of your camera, such as aperture, shutter and ISO.

You are in a great situation if you have someone who wants to "pass the mantle". Learning from someone who has a wealth of information is probably one of the best ways to learn photography.

Schedule a day where you go out with your grandfather and let him teach you what he knows, all the while learning the basics of photography and your camera on your own. I learned a few years ago that my grandfather was a shutterbug too and used to shoot with a Leica. He passed away many years ago, when I was a teenager. To have the chance to go back and not only spend time with him, but learn from him, that would be golden

Experiement, practice and have fun!

Most reactions

Back