Thoughts on a lens

It's not a bad lens,
but to answer the question I'd like to know what other lens comes with the package.

These are the three I'm looking at. I really like the xsi, my price range is right at about $700 at this time. Looking to get started. I know alot of people like the Nikon stuff, and the extra lens fits under the $700

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0013HOW6M/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A17MC6HOH9AVE6&v=glance]Amazon.com: Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR and 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens with 2 Nikon School DVDs: Adorama Camera[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0012OGF6Q/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance]Amazon.com: Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0012YA85A/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance]Amazon.com: Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black): Camera & Photo[/ame]

Of the Nikons, I wouldn’t recommend a D60. With the D60 you’re limited on your lens choices. You can’t use any of the older lenses. If you looking for your first DSLR you want something you can grow with and expand. I like Nikons but personally I think there are better options out there even within the Nikon cameras than the D60 for under $700.

Doesn't the D40 have the same lens restrictions as the D60?
I have a D60 and a D90.
There is nothing wrong with the 60 except the lens issue....which is only an issue if you intend to have a variety of lenses. Other than that it is a great camera.
Kyle, If you take the first option you listed you have a great focal range between the 2 lenses, both have VR which in this case is important and both are perfectly suited for the D60.
If you intend to get away from DX and AF-S lenses then you need to get a camera with an auto focus motor..which the D60 does not have.

you can get a d80 for 650 at ritz.

I think people make too much of an issue of the D40 and D60 not having an auto focus motor. I have three lenses which will not auto focus on my D40, but yet I get sharp in focus pictures. Honestly, you can save yourself a few dollars by doing the focusing manually, which is incredibly easy if you use the focus aide.

Doesn't the D40 have the same lens restrictions as the D60?
Yes, I believe so but my thought is if you're going that way the D60 isn't any better than the D40 so why spend more? The D40 has more than enough pixels to make decent sized prints for an amature/beginner and it's cheaper. With the cheaper price a beginner might be able to afford more accessories and get a slightly better start. I recommend a D40 over a D60. Just my opinion though and that's why I also posted the link above of Ken Rockwell's review of the D40. He breaks it down much better than I could.

Ken Rockwell's review of the D60:
Nikon D60

Most reactions

Back