Thoughts on Canon refurbished products?

voyageaimer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can get a refurbished camera through canon direct for several hundred less than anywhere else. I have heard mixed reviews about buying refurbs.

Anyone have experience with is and should I be worried about the longevity of a refurb product be new? Granted, it comes with a 1 year warranty..but I’m thinking after that. Also, do they look brand new? Is there any sign that is a refurb camera by looking at it?

I wouldn't hesitate buying refurb'd. most my equipment was used or refurbished.

I wouldn't hesitate buying refurb'd. most my equipment was used or refurbished.

Awesome! Does the refurbished look new? I would be willing to fork over the extra money for a new camera if so. I want one that looks new. (My 2 year old camera I have now looks nearly brand new)

The other positive - I can get the newer model of camera for less (refurb) than I get can the previous model for (new).

A. My D600 that I bought used with 50K clicks on it looked new until I dropped it on some stone steps the other day.

B. The only brand new thing of all of my gear at this point is a lens that someone else bought for me. 0 issues.

I bought a refurbished D600 with about 8,000 clicks on it -- it looked brand new. It cost MUCH less than a new D610 was at the time.
I bought my SB-700 refurbished in 2011 -- still going strong, again, much less than a new one.
I bought my Tamron 24-70mm lens "open box" -- basically someone bought it, and returned it, and it couldn't be sold new again. saved a bunch there.

I've found since camera stuffs is so expensive and holds value, that most owners take care of their equipment. YMMV.

A. My D600 that I bought used with 50K clicks on it looked new until I dropped it on some stone steps the other day.

B. The only brand new thing of all of my gear at this point is a lens that someone else bought for me. 0 issues.

Used is different that refurbished though. Refurbished is a product that likely DID have a known issue and was (hopefully) repaired/replaced back to functioning condition. Whereas used is a product that simply has some miles on it.

Used is different that refurbished though. Refurbished is a product that likely DID have a known issue and was (hopefully) repaired/replaced back to functioning condition. Whereas used is a product that simply has some miles on it.

Ultimately, it's your money, and you need to decide what you value. I don't have time to worry about what might go wrong...and since I have the pleasure of being a photographer without serious business interests, if something breaks, I can move on pretty easily.

My kit is solidly "prosumer" and I didn't spent much more money than someone might on a nice "beginner" camera kit. I value that over things being shiny and new. I want the best quality I can afford, and that means buying used or refurbed. I spend a lot of time on these forums, and there are very few issues posted about any camera or lens (besides known issues, like my D600 oil splatter issue that was resolved by Nikon for free, even though I bought my camera used).

Ultimately, it's your money, and you need to decide what you value. I don't have time to worry about what might go wrong...and since I have the pleasure of being a photographer without serious business interests, if something breaks, I can move on pretty easily.

My kit is solidly "prosumer" and I didn't spent much more money than someone might on a nice "beginner" camera kit. I value that over things being shiny and new. I want the best quality I can afford, and that means buying used or refurbed. I spend a lot of time on these forums, and there are very few issues posted about any camera or lens (besides known issues, like my D600 oil splatter issue that was resolved by Nikon for free, even though I bought my camera used).

I can appreciate the value of purchasing something used - I'm not arguing that. My main point was that when you make the choice to buy a refurbished item, it is one that has been singled out as defective (for whatever reason) and has been known to be faulty. A lemon, if you will. Theoretically, that refurb camera has a greater risk of experiencing other issues UNLESS the refurbishing was done 100% properly by whomever. (i.e. a used camera would be a "safer" purchase than refurb'd in some instances)

Just pulled the trigger on a refurbished kit from Canon! I didn't want it to sell out as they seem to go quickly on Canon's website. I'm slightly less nervous as it is direct from them. If it pans out, I have scored a great deal. I'm getting the T7i refurbished for less than I would have paid for a T5i body alone (new).

I prefer to buy refurb from canon. It's cheaper than "brand new" but works like brand new. And I'm the type to buy brand new no matter what the price...

Refurbished units are less likely to be damaged stock and more likely to be ex-demo models and other minor use cameras. They typically have very low milage to start with and are generally as good as brand new. Also unlike brand new, refurbished are quality control tested on a one to one basis because they have to be checked over by an operator. So in theory buying a refurb is safer than buying brand new (brand new being only batch tested rather than individually).

But the way the world is even a demo model that does nothing but sit on a stand and is never touched barring being put on and off the stand - still counts as used refurbished stock. So there's always a ready supply.

I totally get the desire to own brand new and oft do myself, but if the option comes up I'd not balk at owning a refurb unit (indeed I've a few of my own without any issue)

Hope you have fun with your new camera! Look forward to seeing what you can capture with it

I prefer to buy refurb from canon. It's cheaper than "brand new" but works like brand new. And I'm the type to buy brand new no matter what the price...

Seems like we may have some similarities... haha

Refurbished units are less likely to be damaged stock and more likely to be ex-demo models and other minor use cameras. They typically have very low milage to start with and are generally as good as brand new. Also unlike brand new, refurbished are quality control tested on a one to one basis because they have to be checked over by an operator. So in theory buying a refurb is safer than buying brand new (brand new being only batch tested rather than individually).

But the way the world is even a demo model that does nothing but sit on a stand and is never touched barring being put on and off the stand - still counts as used refurbished stock. So there's always a ready supply.

I totally get the desire to own brand new and oft do myself, but if the option comes up I'd not balk at owning a refurb unit (indeed I've a few of my own without any issue)

Hope you have fun with your new camera! Look forward to seeing what you can capture with it

Thanks! Great information. I’m looking forward to finally having an upgrade . I love my current camera but she is definitely behind the times... Now the waiting game of my package being delivered (hopefully to my home on the first attempt, but that’s another story).

Most reactions

Back