Thoughts on Ken Rockwell

I find it humorous how he went, in a short amount of time, from saying the D7000 was basically the best digital camera Nikon makes to nowsaying the new Fuji x100 is better and has made him forget about the D7000. That's after having the x100 for like a day.

He is a circus clown. Yes, people like to go to the circus and look at the clown. He is entertaining but no one takes him seriously.

Well, I try always not to denigrate people: KR has his opinions, and people can choose to read or not to read them. For his comments about the ContaxG2, I would say he is 98% correct, as I own one and have similar to say. For film, I agree mostly with him, as I too consider film to be yet superior to digital. For other gear, I cannot say.

But, his most recent post does raise my eyebrows. KR claims to be the grandson of Tesla. This is a revelation of biblical weight, as all the books I have read about Tesla confirm he was a bachelor and celibate to the day he died. Nowhere can I find mention of offspring. So, KR's claim is a surprise to say the least.

Of course, personal lineage in this case has nothing to do with photography: the thread is about impressions of KR.

I find KR's website to be just like every other website in the world, full of opinion and advertising, some useful and some not.

Allan

He isn't necessarily putting out bad, or false information. But his information is best suited for snap shooters who just want to get better photos than a point and shoot can provide.

He claimed his d40 was the greatest camera on earth for a long long time, even after the d90 and d300 were released he still said his d40 was better.

He claims that the sb-400 speedlight is better than the sb-600/800/900, unless your a full time news pro, Which is bogus.

There is a laundry list of cases like this where he recommends the older cheaper model of everything over the newer better one. I'm not saying this is wrong. To beginners It may be good info. But he doesn't seem to understand what the additional features of newer, higher end stuff can bring to the table, even for a snap shooter or beginner.

B KR claims to be the grandson of Tesla. This is a revelation of biblical weight, as all the books I have read about Tesla confirm he was a bachelor and celibate to the day he died. Nowhere can I find mention of offspring. So, KR's claim is a surprise to say the least.

We have Tesla, the great inventor. He is arguably the most important inventor in history; 100+ patents internationally, father of AC current, Nobel Prize, and had some of the most forward looking (and scary) research in weaponry. The guy was is a genius (IMO, more so than Edison, who he shared a rivalry). A genius who couldn't market himself at all.... to die in a hotel room by himself, broke, and relatively unknown.

We have Ken Rockwell.... hmm... um... doesn't have much to show but could market the crap out of a simple website.

Ain't that funny. I highly doubt there is any connection between the two... self-imposed selective breeding he believed in.

-He called the D1X a "boat anchor" :(
-He thinks VR replaces tripods :er:
+The 28-80mm G is on his "10 best" list :lol:
-/+ He has many tastes (cars, audio, etc.) that he also writes about... taking the site a little off topic.

I think bashing KR is infantile. He does what he does, take it or leave it. We are all big enough to judge the contents of his web site for ourselves.

It is not an easy task to provide a safe, nurturing and fulfilling environment for one's family. He is managing just that by providing information and entertainment on a web site. He seems to be having fun doing it as well. We should all be industrious.

You might not agree with his writings and opinions, some might even think there is a fair bit of crap or misinformation, or maybe just incomplete information put forth on his site. So what, not like this forum doesn't have any. There is downright pure crap posted here sometimes as well. This post being one example.

Enough about Ken. Lets talk about strange food more. :lol:

Food is a much more interesting subject than Ken Rockwell...

Say you what you want about Ken Rockwell, but he is a marketing genious and if you search for just about anything camera related, his site comes up on the first page. I'm sure a lot of us wish our websites were as popular as his.

As far as his opinions and reviews, Ken says it best on his 'about me' page..."remember, I do this site as a goof"

I think his reviews are very much geared toward his style of photography, which is mostly landscapes. If you are into portraiture or other types of photography, then the reviews become less relative.

Enough about Ken. Lets talk about strange food more. :lol:Food is a much more interesting subject than Ken Rockwell...
Tonight I ate some oysters, hog jowls, quail eggs, quail, and some sweetbreads.

Were the eggs still in the quail when you ate them? Inquiring minds want to know. You should have had some boiled cod livers and roe stuffed in a cod stomach with those oysters. Yummy.

No, the quail egg was part of one dish, the quail was part of another. :p

honestly he reminds me of a pushy sales man, trying to talk you out of something you want suggesting it doesnt fit your needs, wants or skill level, not even photography wise.

on the other hand i find his site informative with lens reviews, films, filters and other random non sense, but he just pisses me off, like an asshole know it all prick neighbor who always has to out do you.

he seems like a mystery man after all these years, is he a pro? what does he do for work? does he live off his website? i think the only reason why anyone knows him is because he comes up on google half the time you search for something.

Most reactions

Back