Thoughts on the new Nikon D5000

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jvw2941, May 22, 2009.

1. jvw2941

jvw2941 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just found out about this camera yesterday and it is apparently modeled closely to the Nikon D90 with the HD movie function. What are your thoughts on the D5000, is it better than the D90, worse, post them here.

2. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    it's been talked about a lot already. very small market for this camera IMO there is a very small market for this camera. they would have been better off adding this video functionality and flip screen to a D60. in terms of features however, it falls inferior to the D90.

3. cphanh

cphanh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just had a chance to play with this camera today. I have noticed that the AF is a lot slower and it does not a true dSLR feel to it, in terms of weight and size. The build is not as good as the D90. IMO, I think u will be better off with a D90 if you are thinking about getting the D5000.

No, offense to the D5000 users out there.;)

4. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    just considering the price, i think the in body AF motor is worth the $200 price difference. however, the D5000 shouldn't focus any slower since the it's using the motor in the lens. i could be wrong though, it may have something to do with how it distributes power from the battery.

5. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the D5000 is an awesome camera! if I were to buy a DX camera today, the D5000, or a D40 would be it. Small, fast, accurate AF, video, comfortable, everything a DX body should be. The only two things the D90 substantially offer for my uses is a screwdriver for my 80-200, and a commander for the pop up flash. Otherwise, The D5000 is it.

At work, for most people who can't decide for the D90 or D60, I show them the D5000 and it's always exactly what they were looking for.

When the D5000 gets to be about $400, I might buy one with an 18-55 just to keep in my car all the time and use my D700 for the business. If it's not a 5000, then it would be a D40, which by then would be probably about $200-$250 considering you can get them new for $450 now.

6. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In some ways yes, and in some no.

In a way, the D5000 is a blend of things. It is the "film" of the D90/D300 in the light weight & limited control body of a D60. It is probably the best bang-for-the-buck in terms of image quality at the present.

Given the history of the D40/40x/60, I wouldn't expect the D5000 to have any lower build quality than a D90 or D300. It won't be as rugged, but should be as reliable if not abused.

Without format tests to refer to (none published to date), the user comparisons indicate that its a match to the D90 in both still and video quality. It has the same sensor and processor so there's no reason to expect a difference.

The big difference is the "camera" portion. The controls (single control wheel as opposed to the D90's two, no DOF preview when the D90 has one, ...) and the viewfinder (penta-mirror vs. the D90's pentaprism) are the big differences, other than the more robust construction. These make the D90 preferable to use, but the added weight and bulk they bring make the D5000 preferable to carry.

7. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    what about the larger more detailed viewfinder and DOF control? and multiple physical controls instead of menu based settings. those things plus the motor for AF... there is no reason to even consider the D5000 over the D90. maybe if you could find the D5000 for about $350, but by that time you'll be able to find the D90 for $400

8. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not that much larger, and they pretty much display the same information in there anyway. DOF control? Lenses are lenses are lenses. The 18-55 at f/8 will act exactly the same on the D5000 as it will a D90, or even the D2x. Now DOF preview, that might be what you meant, but I don't even use that on my D700, and I would say that few actual photographers use DOF preview anymore. DOF preview now is the LCD, this isn't film anymore. Take a shot, review, zoom in at 100%, if what you want is sharp, it's sharp, if not, it's not. you can't see those subtle differences through the tiny finders of 35mm.

Regardless if you're shooting a D90, or a D5000, changing things like ISO are still a two handed operation, and there's almost no menu flipping to change things like the ISO or WB on the 5000 or D40. Just hit the info button twice and you're there, it's fast, it's easy. If you're going through the menu>shooting menu>White Balance (etc..) then it's user error. Granted it's not the hold down ISO and rotate a dial fast as the D90, but it's really not that tedious.

Uhh, price? size? easier video? identical image quality? similar AF system? similar frame rate? The 5000 is $850 with a lens, the D90 is $1000 body only. like I said earlier, the only two things the D90 substantially offer for my uses is a screwdriver for my 80-200, and a commander for the pop up flash. Otherwise, the D5000 is pretty much just as capable.

It's like the D700 and the D3. Why would anyone spend a $2000 premium for another CF slot, integrated grip, one more fps, and more klunk and weight unless they know they'll use those all the time?

Personally, i'd use the screwdriver on the D90 all the time because of my 80-200, and I have 3 SB600's, so i'd need the commander too. I could justify the D90. However, if I didn't have those things, then I wouldn't pay extra money for "fluff".

9. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If it's a choice between the two and you're more concerned about actual photography (and why wouldn't you be?), get the D90.

10. jvw2941

jvw2941 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    how much slower in terms of time?