Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got an opportunity to buy into a big batch of Norman gear (up to eight 900 series heads, and two power packs, one 4k w/s and one 800 w/s) for <$2000. Going by the prices quoted on line, this seems like a screaming good deal, but I'm not at all familiar with Norman (other than to know that they're a good name in pack/head systems. Has anyone used them, and have any experiences, pros, cons, etc that they'd like to share?

Tks!

If only Derrel were here... I am sure he could write a novel!

Either that, or this would be the one brand of studio flash that he'd never heard of... Which to me would be hilarious (and highly unlikely).

What's the used market price look like for purchasing all that gear, compared to the $2k that you could drop on it right now? I'd be interested to know the split, money-wise.

:lol: I'm sure he'd have the answer; he's been MIA for a bit...

The 800 w/s power supply is $800 used from B&H, the heads seem to be around $150-250 each.

Wow, that IS a good deal! Hopefully someone can chime in with the necessary knowledge so that you can make an informed purchase. Best of luck... packs and heads like that would be a nice addition to a lighting setup (assuming of course that they are good quality).

The seller is a retired pro who worked for Disney for 30+ years; I'm taking that as a good sign.

The company that owns Norman also owns Photogenic and recently just bought Speedotron. From everything I've read they're like a "lower" brand of Speedotron. Certain Norman packs will even work with Speedotron 102 and 202 heads. I've just heard they're not as reliable.

Hmmm... that's a bit concerning; by 'not as reliable' do you mean less robust and more prone to break down, or do you mean inconsisten results?

Also, look at it this way: Speedotron is known for being as reliable as the sun rising and setting.
Sun...shmun... now if you told me it was as reliable as the price of gasoline increasing, that would be a good indicator!

Most reactions

Back