Thoughts on the Sigma 28-300mm lens?

JDP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pavleck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm looking for a general lens to carry around with some zoom capability - I came across this one for only $279.
It's a Sigma 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 DG Macro AF lens. I really like the price, the zoom is nice and I like the fact it has a minimum 1'6" focusing across all focal lengths and lets you do macro at 300mm.

Problem is, I've never used a Sigma lens - any thoughts on them? This particular one states The improved DG lens design corrects for various aberrations and that it uses Special Low Dispersion elements, so it sounds decent for the price.

Along a similar line, what do you think of Tamron and Tokina lenses? All I've used is Nikon hehe.

I know it won't have the greatest optics, but if I need a really sharp shot, I'll stick with one of my primes. I usually carry 4 lenses at all times with me (Yay for the Tamrac Expedition) but sometimes I want to zoom and dont have the time to swap lenses :)

JDP said:
I know it won't have the greatest optics...

Sigma makes fine lenses. As long as you are aware that nobody makes really good all-in-one zooms you should be happy with it.

Personally, I would really shy away from this and wait till I could afford the Nikon 18-200mm VR. f/6.3 is just too sluggish for me and I would imagine the image is a far cry from cirsp. If you are really considering it, find a place where you can rent lenses and rent it. After you try it out, than you'll be able to make a much more educated decision. I have tried out a few Sigma lenses, including the popular 70-300mm APO that keeps popping up on these boards and have seen nothing but atrocious results on both my D70 and my 35mm FE.

Yar. Actually, I don't mind that it's slow - I'm assuming it's due to the macro function, as they have a similar lens which doesn't feature this and, along with being cheaper, is a lot faster.

Sides, I'd rather spend that kind of money on the 17-55 f/2.8 or the 12-24 hehe

I have the sigma 28-300,
On my Canon 20d, I find it fuzzy at 200mm + also has noticable barrel distortion.
This lens does a lot of "hunting" while trying to focus on moving subjects.
Not sure of the equitte,but with your ok I could post a few shots?

The Nikon is not really that sharp either a trait of most all in one zooms but ksmatt covered that....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back