Thoughts on this Marketing Endeavor?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by MikeBookPro, Sep 9, 2009.

1. MikeBookPro

MikeBookPro TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    As a way to get my little photography business out there in my local community, I'm doing a little "Free Photo Day" at a local park. Here's the post on my blog explaining what we're doing.

Effectively, we're going to do 15 minute time slots for families to come to the park, take a handful of shots, etc. I'm going to edit the best ones, provide a gallery link to the families (individually), and allow them to choose one photo to get a free 8x10 print. When I send the print to them, I will include information on how they will have the option to purchase other photos, or more prints at my normal a la carte rates. The envelope will also have business cards, a brochure, etc. I will also provide a watermarked, low-res version of the photo they chose to allow them to share it via e-mail, Facebook, whatever.

Anyway, I'm hoping that I will be able to get 10-15 families to show up. My costs for the day are my time (obviously), $2 or so per print, some small signs directing people to the shooting location, and other postage and print costs. I'd estimate $5-6 per family, not including time.

Thoughts on the benefit of this type of marketing? I just want to be able to shake hands, and show people something they will enjoy. Even if it costs me $200-300 to make that happen, plus my time, it seems worthwhile.

Input would be appreciated.

2. camz

camz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mike another free marketing tool you might want to exploit is craigslist. Good luck - sounds like fun.

3. MikeBookPro

MikeBookPro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree! I posted on there already, and plan to do so every few days until the event.

4. dtzitko

dtzitko TPF Noob!

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Although I think you might want to include more than just one 8x10. Maybe a bigger photo, or the best two? If you are only going to be exposed to 10-15 families, I would think you'd really want to wow them, so if it only costs you $5-6 per family, why not give them two photos instead of one or a bigger one. Assume your cost at most would double because of that so instead of spending ~$75, you're spending ~$150. Not too bad I think. Just make sure you get 3-4 really good photos and make them say, well we're getting two for free, let's buy 1 or 2 more.

Great idea though, no matter how you go about doing it.

Also, craigslist was posted above, but Twitter is a GREAT networking resource.

5. camz

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Man I just came from your blog and boy do move fast! lol we've been building our website for the longest time now, so far how we show most of our work through albums, portfolios and large prints. Good for you guys!

I think you're marketing it just right, your getting the word out at very little cost. When we usually do these things we also hand outs business cards, discount coupons, album samples, and other give aways. Recently we've added a photobooth in our package which the clients love because we can print right there on the spot for their guests. Great marketing tool too b/c you can imprint your logo on the printed pic with a very fast turn around.

6. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What if 100 families show up? :lol:

7. MikeBookPro

MikeBookPro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm doing 15 minute time-slots, so that is doubtful. If they do, however, I'll send wifey out to pick up pizzas and drinks, and make it an all day affair. I like marketing concepts that only cost a lot if there is substantial interest. I'm doing to spend as much as I have to accommodate those that show up.

8. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good attitude, I wish you the best of luck!

9. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    People, do not value what they get for free.

This has been tried repeatedly over the years and it doesn't work very well for the above reason.

But, until you experience it first hand...........and you're already committed.

Afterwards, you might look at the book Power Marketing, Selling, and Pricing. A Business Guide for Wedding and Portrait Photographers. By Mitche Graf. If nothing else he's very up beat and positive.

10. MikeBookPro

MikeBookPro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tend to agree, normally. However, I kind of view it as a "freemium" promotion. Meaning, they get something of value for free, and they have the option of purchasing more. Beyond that, I think there is a good amount of marketing potential with local businesses. I'm going to pound the pavement Friday to see if I can find a sponsor for drinks, food, cake, etc. Something to make it a community event.

11. camz

Photos NOT OK to edit
    KMH I think you have a point however marketing and exposure at a very low cost is more geared towards the business visibility especially during start up time. What brought google and yahoo to the top of their game is a free search engine for the common internet user and the word got out.

I believe you're speaking of the value of the product and not the marketing approach and cost of a start up business. IMHO

12. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit