Three Camera Portrait Render Test

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I usually skip big tests of equipment I cannot afford, but I did look at this one. Most of it was irrelevant to me, but there was one section that I felt was fun, and fun can make it worth the time. :)

Grab a piece of paper (5" x 7" was about right for me) and a pencil or pen. There is a portrait render test that starts at 29 min, 8 sec. point of video where he did his best to repeat each setting and pose between the three tested cameras. There are 12 sets of pictures.

I look at it as a sort of "Rorschach test". The results say more about the "viewer" than the cameras, and in my case reflect my momentary state of mind more than my overall "artistic judgement".

About half way through them I realized that I had messed up my numbering at some point and I started over. As I repeated the process I knew that I had changed my mind about some of the pictures, so my scores changed in that short of time. Moreover, I realized that while going through the pictures I tended to get bored with the characteristics (style) of my previous highest scoring pictures and decided let this change stand, because I like variety. So my judgement of the style of the renders by the end of the test conflicts with my judgment at the start.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned this part of the test was worth the time and effort. Have some fun with it. I will eventually post my scores later, but it will not matter.

"Sony A9 vs Canon 1Dxii vs Nikon D5 | Flagship Epic Shootout Review | Which Camera to Buy", posted by "Michael The Maven" on Aug 20, 2017.

Last edited:
I picked the D5 the best 9:12 times.

On shot #7, I marked the d5 as second. (a9 as best)
shot #10 and #11, I marked the d5 as the worst. (a9 as best in both those as well)

I did not like how the skin got rendered -- I'm guessing it's due to the leaves from the tree. I also didn't like the eyes in #11 where the rest didn't look so dull.

I rated the Canon the worst the most -- things I noted were loss of details in the highlights and the really red hue to the skin.

Last edited:
... ... ...

I wouldn't buy any of those three.

The other day I had granola for breakfast so that probably accounts for my scores: Canon 26, Nikon 19, Sony 26.

It looks to me like Nikon has a touch more saturation in their default finish, but that is about all I see as a difference, and I expect that if I wanted to I could adjust that in any of the three cameras.

Typically, I tend to prefer higher saturation. But, as I am saying it depends. If I had bacon and eggs, I think I would have tended more towards Nikon.

My "scoring" was Nikon 31, Sony 23, Canon 18.

Most reactions

Back