Three chairs

e5c53833d06dbf508758fcd52eda6abc.jpg

69561c0209058ce004836a5fd61ce055.jpg

Is roll film better?

Not really, since it's been out of production since the early 90s :( BUT there are apparently ways to convert it to 120 or 4x5 film. Am I right that it's a model 800?[/QUOTE]
662dc93fbd0d74e2b54e72876d365a08.jpg

Limr, please start a thread about Polaroids and lifting. I would like to see what others here have done. I haven't done it before so I reckon I couldn't start that thread.

Limr, please start a thread about Polaroids and lifting. I would like to see what others here have done. I haven't done it before so I reckon I couldn't start that thread.

Gimme a few days and I'll post something. I'd like to do a lift and take pictures of each step, do a little tutorial. :)

rChairs
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

SX-70 and IP color film. Took a picture of it before I sent the K-r back and then tweaked the colors to make them match the print.

Interesting discussion. And to (partly) answer Manaheim's and Sleist's question... how do you explain a joke? You can't on an instinctual level.. Many jokes rely on the duality of something - with the second meaning snapping into view only at the last moment (ie, the punch-line). If you don't know both dual meanings, you're going to miss the joke. In this case, I see an image framed as a Polaroid print - it may be, or it may not. That's not either the attraction to me, not the flaw. What IS interesting to me, is the repeating motif of lines, of a tonality that echoes the snapshots of the 1960's, semi-warm, semi-cool tones, and finally, the composition of the empty chairs that focus on the open area to our left. Most of us have seen little tableaus like this, as part of our visiting a vacation home, or someone with a place by the seaside, and that experience pulls us into the image, to sit in those rocking chairs, to feel the salty breeze, and to want relive that moment, even though it may have been half a century ago. That's the duality - it is a modern image, but it evokes a different time. A time when things were straight, things were black-and-white, everything had a purpose that you could understand. The straight lines in the floor, in the chairs, in the walls, in the railing... all hint at a simpler time. Even the medium of the Polaroid, harkens back to the simplicity of image-making (point, click, pull on the tab, wait 60 seconds, and voila! you had an image). But then again, I have no assurance that Leonore didn't snap this image with a digital camera, then apply the "polaroid" framing and 64 blended photoshop layers that convince me that she really took this with a Polaroid, (except for having followed her posts, I know she would cringe at such a workflow). In the end, the medium she chose just contributed to the vision I suspect she saw. And in looking at the posted image, she invokes enough memories of my own for me to see the image though that lense.

If she shot it in digital and made it look convincingly like a Polaroid, I'd be asking her to teach me how. As a commercial photographer, I care about results. Sometimes a client wants a nostalgic look but also wants the same image in different media outlets.

I see my role as a photographer as that of a visual communicator. I will use anything in my skill set to communicate the topic.

rChairs
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

SX-70 and IP color film. Took a picture of it before I sent the K-r back and then tweaked the colors to make them match the print.

Interesting discussion. And to (partly) answer Manaheim's and Sleist's question... how do you explain a joke? You can't on an instinctual level.. Many jokes rely on the duality of something - with the second meaning snapping into view only at the last moment (ie, the punch-line). If you don't know both dual meanings, you're going to miss the joke. In this case, I see an image framed as a Polaroid print - it may be, or it may not. That's not either the attraction to me, not the flaw. What IS interesting to me, is the repeating motif of lines, of a tonality that echoes the snapshots of the 1960's, semi-warm, semi-cool tones, and finally, the composition of the empty chairs that focus on the open area to our left. Most of us have seen little tableaus like this, as part of our visiting a vacation home, or someone with a place by the seaside, and that experience pulls us into the image, to sit in those rocking chairs, to feel the salty breeze, and to want relive that moment, even though it may have been half a century ago. That's the duality - it is a modern image, but it evokes a different time. A time when things were straight, things were black-and-white, everything had a purpose that you could understand. The straight lines in the floor, in the chairs, in the walls, in the railing... all hint at a simpler time. Even the medium of the Polaroid, harkens back to the simplicity of image-making (point, click, pull on the tab, wait 60 seconds, and voila! you had an image). But then again, I have no assurance that Leonore didn't snap this image with a digital camera, then apply the "polaroid" framing and 64 blended photoshop layers that convince me that she really took this with a Polaroid, (except for having followed her posts, I know she would cringe at such a workflow). In the end, the medium she chose just contributed to the vision I suspect she saw. And in looking at the posted image, she invokes enough memories of my own for me to see the image though that lense.

Thank you for such a thoughtful comment - and by "thoughtful" I don't just mean "nice" but its more literal "full of thought" meaning. :)

If she shot it in digital and made it look convincingly like a Polaroid, I'd be asking her to teach me how. As a commercial photographer, I care about results. Sometimes a client wants a nostalgic look but also wants the same image in different media outlets.

I see my role as a photographer as that of a visual communicator. I will use anything in my skill set to communicate the topic.

I'm sure it's possible to shoot something in digital and make it look convincingly Polaroid-y, but I know for me personally, it would not be nearly as fun, nor as straight-forward a process. If it's one thing I can't stand, it's taking 15 steps to do what I can accomplish in one step. So if I want a more nostalgic feel, rather than go through an extended process in software, it's just a matter of "Grab SX-70. Shoot. Keep print away from light for 30 minutes." Okay, okay, you got me - that's technically three steps ;)

Make a Polaroid back that accepts my Nikkor lenses with autofocus and metering and I'll be singing the praises of instant film. I guess one of the joys and sorrows of instant cameras is the lack of changeable lenses.

Make a Polaroid back that accepts my Nikkor lenses with autofocus and metering and I'll be singing the praises of instant film. I guess one of the joys and sorrows of instant cameras is the lack of changeable lenses.

This comment confuses me. With all the threads you've posted about pushing the boundaries it seems that you're not willing to let go of your DSLR and it's familiar automated features. Besides, what possible use would a polaroid back for even FF lenses be? Postage stamp sized final images... ;);)

This comment confuses me. With all the threads you've posted about pushing the boundaries it seems that you're not willing to let go of your DSLR and it's familiar automated features. Besides, what possible use would a polaroid back for even FF lenses be? Postage stamp sized final images... ;);)
Ha! You got me.
I like the process of photography to be as transparent as possible. I want all my gear to be familiar and using it to be a second nature.

It's true, the cameras themselves are limiting, which is why it's a matter of knowing the limits of both camera and film, and recognizing what scenes lend themselves to those limitations. Same with a Holga.

Hey, there's something you could try - a Holga lens on your DSLR! :D

Most reactions

Back