Three edits, one subject-me... c+c?

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I was practicing my self portraits, something I find hard to do with out a remote...It is a good learning experience as always though.
I used natural light and the kitchen over head light, I stilll had to have my ISO turned up though to get the shot exposed. I used my 50mm and canon 30d. I tried to avoid using the lens at 1.8 as I really wanted to get my eyes sharp.

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125) Aperture: f/3.2 Focal Length: 50 mm ISO Speed: 400 Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV Flash: Flash did not fire
Orientation: Horizontal (normal) X-Resolution: 1134/5 dpi Y-Resolution: 1134/5 dpi Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 Windows Date and Time: 2008:10:02 14:42:44 Artist Name: unknown Exposure Program: Manual

This is the original with just basic sharpening applied:
2907234369_2d4a7c68a3.jpg

Cloning, lightening and skin softening-I find it hard to keep the texture of the skin correct when doing this. I also sharpened more and saturated the eyes while lightening the hair too.

2907987429_3e79a05b29.jpg

The this is the same as above but with a heavy vignette

2907987233_61b18ebc55.jpg

C and C welcome, what did I do wrong, what could I do better?

I like the first one better then the second just cause it look natural. The second just does not do it for me like to over processed maybe. The last one I like too because of the effect. Really brings you out. Cute if must say..lol. I'm also still learning for photography and been into it for bout year and half and know nothing bout tones and such but I like them.

Nice job, Rachel :)

It looks like your on your way to become a "retoucher" :)
May I ask what program you are using? I noticed that when you softened your skin, it is a little heavy in some areas and lighter in others (#2). If you are using photoshop, try using surface blur to smoothen your skin. This will help you retain sharpness in areas you want to keep sharp; like your eyes, eyebrows and lips. I would do this on a copy layer then mask it in to fine tune. It is missing the dodge and burn retouches but that is another task for you to tackle.

In #3, yeah... way too much vignetting. I don't call that heavy, I call that tunnel vision, hehe.

All in all, you're getting off to a great start. Keep it up, champ.
Just my 2bit suggestions.

ps. Here is a link to one of my favorite retouching tutorials
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=209

Just say no to retouching. Seriously. Personal opinion but thats what CC is really. Retouching blurs the line between artifice and reality as far as I'm concerned, especially considering that theres NOTHING wrong with the first picture. At all.

Now if this is just practice to get paid big bucks by small-egos to make them look good, then by all means. . .go nuts!

And #3 is cool, but it doesn't seem to go with what you are wearing, the bright flower and playful spaghetti straps distract from the somber vignette.

Agree with the others; I don't see anything about you that requires retouching. #1 is definitely my preference, though the work in #2 is nicely done. #3 looks to me like you've illuminated yourself with a flashlight. Don't forget your backgrounds...The doorway image right is a bit distracting. Good job!

My only critism, you lost all your freckles. Freckles on a girl are adorable.

Thanks for the comments-I was practicing and experimenting on my self-the only willing subject I have is me LOL
I do like my freckles, but was practicing getting that smoother look with out loosing texture-which i lost anyway :(
I am using elements 6-dodge and burning still perplexes me at the moment-I need to google some tutorials for elements 6 and dodging and burning I think
Oh and incase your wondering why the flower-I felt the pictures were boring so I tried to experiment-I dont normally wear fake flowers in my hair
Maulrat-that tutorial is getting book marked Thanks!

I agree with most that # is the best. I personally hate retouching faces/people because I think it usually looks unnatural, but also because of he message it puts forth. It just one more way, among many these days, to tell people (especially women and girls) that they don't look go enough the way they are.

Wow, you're beautiful. :) I love the first one.

Most reactions

Back