Three-Light Portrait

canonrebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
All comments welcom (negative or positive)
Canon A-1 | Tokina 35-135 at 135 | Three Lights
2:00 o'clock technique
Main Light at 2:00 o'clock
Fill Light at camera
Hair Light
Light ratio aproximately 1:2
HP 5470 scanner

5.jpg

its a lovely studio portrait. His blue eyes really stand out!

I think its a fab shot. My main beef is that for some reason it reminds of the type of school photos that I was subjected to 'back in the day'. For some reason, it has a retro vibe to it... it could be blue background. Thats not a critique on the quality, its more my personal preference. It actually probably works here because his eyes are soo blue.

nice one matie :)

ThanX for the comments. I'm flattered.

I may have gotton lucky with the blue background. I never even thought about how it would interact with the blue eyes. I really had'nt a choice. The blue backdrop was the only backdrop I had and now, in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't have any distracting background props or themes to apply--I might have used them if I would have had them.

This 2 o'clock style of lighting isn't really what I was going for when I set up the lights but I liked it once I saw it.

I was going to set up the shoot for rembrandt with the entire half of the face in subdued light with the classic triangular highlight on the dark cheek. And I wanted to keep the lighting ratio slightly dramatic with a 1:2 ratio rather than going for high-key with 1:1 or 1:1.5 ratios.

Most reactions

Back