Three new Canon Lenses:

18-55 IS?

i'm surprised.

18-55 IS?

i'm surprised.
Yes, me too. For the life of me I'm not clear who needs a wide-angle IS lens.

But IS is all the rage, and their strategic advantage now that the mega-pixel battle is petering out and IS is the new Must-Have feature.

Yup... if you don't have anti-shake in your lens, anti-shake in your SLR, or high-ISO-pretending-to-be-anti-shake in your point & shoot then how will you ever get a clear shot? Surely not by standing still or resting on something? Score one for marketing people, again. :roll:

Would love to see some shots from that new 14mm though :drool:

Great. So they take two mediocre lenses and add IS to it to jack the price some more. WoooHooo!!! Is it too late to ask R&D for a 24-70 f/2.8 L IS or 17-85 f/2.8 IS?

Considering that the 24-70 L is effectively THE wedding shooter's lens, I'm sure it's only a question of time till they add IS.

I read somewhere that the pricing strategy is not to raise the price of the new consumer lenses with IS, but rather to lower the non-IS versions.

Is it too late to ask R&D for a 24-70 f/2.8 L IS or 17-85 f/2.8 IS?
Amen!

Considering that the 24-70 L is effectively THE wedding shooter's lens, I'm sure it's only a question of time till they add IS.
I would think (or hope) so. The other lens that is becoming THE new wedding photographer's tool of choice is the 17-55 F2.8 IS....for crop sensors, of course.

I'm happy to see these new lenses. It sounds like they have a new design for IS (or maybe a cheaper version of IS). They still look like 'consumer' grade lenses but adding IS, certainly makes them desirable.

18-55 IS?

i'm surprised.

Pure marketing. Regular consumer base doesn't understand IS except that "it makes pictures sharper". At times, it can be difficult for sales to explain why a similarly priced Canon P&S has IS and the Rebel+kit lens does not. At $199 this is the new kit lens for the regular DSLR consumer who has a tiny bit more cash.

People asked Canon for a 18-55 IS so they made one. There are a lot of people who would never dream of spending £500-£1000 on a lens but would spend £200 on a lens so Canon are just filling a gap. The IS on these two lenses, 18-55 and 55-250 is better than any other lens on the market as I type, I know I played with them today, annoying really as they are better at image stabilizing than my 300mm F2.8 IS!!!!
Both have 4 stops of IS so instead of shooting at 1/125 of a second with the 18-55 at 55mm you can easily shoot at 1/15 of a second, I was taking sharp photos at 1/15 of a sec with the 55-250mm lens at 250mm on the 40D or in old money 400mm and that appeals to a lot of consumers.

Yeah I suppose it's a gap filler for the consumer market. But what about us hard-core amatuers a psuedo-pros? Anyway, Canon's site is featuring the IS on all their kits as the end-all-be-all of solutions to making you a better photographer. "Don't lose another shot!"

lol hand hold a 1/2 second exposure at 18mm.

Yeah I suppose it's a gap filler for the consumer market. But what about us hard-core amatuers a psuedo-pros? Anyway, Canon's site is featuring the IS on all their kits as the end-all-be-all of solutions to making you a better photographer. "Don't lose another shot!"

well the adverts must work, you own 3 IS lenses and I have 2 :lol:

Forget about the new lenses...I've just read through the list of upgardes on the 40D....WOW! That is one heck of a camera. :D

Hardest part of this forum: keeping up with lostprophet's avatars.

Agreeds, IS is ultimately a nice thing. I had it on a lens once (28-135mm) and I thought it was pretty good.

I have IS on my 17-85...and it's pretty good. While on the meet-up, I got to use a 100-400 IS...and it was freakin' amazing. :shock: It makes a huge difference with a telephoto.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back