Three-point lighting kits for this effect?

Bullan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a beginner and just got my first DSLR (Nikon D3300) with a 50mm f1.8 lens. So far it's taking amazing portraits/headshots but I'd like to amp it up a little with some lights. I've been watching several videos and studied the three point lighting and was wondered if that's what is used on this shot, for example:

http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...2151a/1433954303458/_MG_5758.jpg?format=2500w

(photo cred: emily lampert)
I like that there's no shadows in her face but also the hair light.
Could that be achievable by any of these cheap lighting kits?

Amazon.com CowboyStudio Photography Video Portrait Umbrella Continuous Triple Lighting Kit Photographic Lighting Umbrellas Camera Photo

Amazon.com Fancierstudio 3000 Watt Digital Video Continuous Softbox Lighting Kit 9026S3 Fancierstudio Photographic Lighting Soft Boxes Camera Photo

- Any other suggestions on cheap lighting kits?

Also, I'd like to know of any DIY backdrops. I'd like to have a light pink, light green and light blue background and was thinking of buying fabric - but would love any other ideas.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Even with giving credit, you are not allowed to post photographs that are not yours. Please replace the image with a link to the image.

I would not recommend continuous lighting for portraiture. You will be happier with strobes.

You can color the backdrop to practically any color you wish simply by gelling the background light(s).

So get some inexpensive strobes and a seamless paper backdrop, (I bought a medium gray) some colored gels, and skip the fabric idea.

The reason why I'd like to have continuous lighting is because I wanna use it for self-tape auditions, slates and such as well as headshots. Aka video as well. Also, I'd love to do something like this: <- although not with the superwhite background but with similar lighting (it looks like they have key, fill and then two hair lights from both sides??)

Thanks for the seamless paper backdrop idea, yeah, that's probably what i'll go with. Was thinking of getting a backdrop stand but was wondering if any seamless paper (like this, inexpensive ones: Seamless Backdrop Paper Backdrop Express would work with a simple backdrop stand like this: Amazon.com LimoStudio Photo Video Studio 10Ft Adjustable Muslin Background Backdrop Support System Stand AGG1112 Photography Backdrops Camera Photo

It's for a simple, home studio so don't have much space but enough that would fit a 6ft wide backdrop.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
(i didn't post the embedded the video, just the link... it happened automatically, so assuming its ok to post videos?)

The reason why I'd like to have continuous lighting is because I wanna use it for self-tape auditions, slates and such as well as headshots. Aka video as well.
O.K., I understand now. Thank you for the additional information.

Why not post a new thread in the video forum? There are videographers here who can comment on your lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back