Thursday's Sunset

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by skyonfire, Oct 2, 2006.

1. skyonfire

skyonfire TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey all.. Got a couple pics here from last Thursday's sunset.. As always C&C welcome and my images are OTE as long as you tell me what you did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. skyonfire

skyonfire TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Come on.. No comments?? I'm sure that there are plenty of things wrong with these pics..

Oh.. and here's one I forgot...
    [​IMG]

3. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i like the flare/bursts you got in 3 and 4, and the range of colors in the last one you just posted.

numbering them when you post might make it easier for people to comment.

try neatimage (www.neatimage.com). I think you will like the results. it really smooths out the sky on shots like these.

4. skyonfire

skyonfire TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    will do.. thanks for the advice.

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You shoot film and scan your prints, don't you?

Sunsets are always fascinating.
    Always.

But you could try to focus on the range of colours given and leave out too much of the surrounding landscape which will not show, anyway, if you want to show the sky. Therefore I should suggest the next time you take photos of "the sky on fire" (which I gather by your nick is something you like to take ;)) you don't include as much "land" as you do in your Photos 4 and 5 (I counted them ... with numbers to each pic it is easier for the viewers). Along with there being too much dead space in both of them, the horizon ended pretty well central in 5, which is always unadvisable in landscape photography (and sunset skyscapes fall into that category).

You placed the horizon really well in Photo 3, which - along with the sunburst - I consider to be the absolute best of this lot. Post processing work to the scanned i.e. digitalised photo might even bring out the colours a bit more. I'd do it for you if I were using my own computer right now, which I am not...

6. skyonfire

skyonfire TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice.. I was kinda in a hurry when I took this set.. I wasn't on my property.. and I didn't want to get into trouble.. but I will take that advice to heart the next time I go out.. And feel free to edit once you get on your computer.. I'd love to see the results. BTW.. I have downloaded GIMP and am in the process of learning how to use.. Hopefully that will help.Thanks for the advice Lafoto.. I really respect your input.. I've seen a lot of your work and it's GREAT!! I'd love to be as good as some of the ppl on this forum.. U included.