Tie Model

He's a really cute kid. On the first shot I really wish his eyes had a bit of a catchlight in them. We can't see his eye color at all, and the lack of catchlight makes his eyes seem a bit 'dead'. Just the tiniest bit of eye-sparkle would have elevated the first shot up to a much higher level. The muslin backdrop in the first photo kind of competes with the boiy for attention, especially that long,dark-painted patterned area that follows the line of the camera-left side of his body. The degree of "in-focus-ness" of the muslin backdrop is the result of shooting at f/4 at 105mm with a small-sensor camera body. The second shot is also at f/4, but the focal length has been upped to 155mm,so the backdrop is more out of focus and competes less for attention than in the first photo.

If you could get the backdrop farther behind him, it would help, but the real problem arises from using a long focal length lens with a small-sensor that is throwing away the outside edges of the lens' image; by the time you are far enough back to show the boy half-body, the depth of field on APS-C (Nikon DX) is so great that, even at 105mm and f/4, the background is clearly in-focus enough for the muslin's pattern to show; thankfully, your muslin didn't have creases or wrinkles in it.

As you might infer, I am not a fan of DX cameras for studio photography, due to the excessive Depth of Field DX brings, and the need to stand way,way back from a subject with a DX camera just in order to be able to use a 105mm focal length lens setting.

Last edited:
Wow Derrel, thanks for the C&C. I forgot to mention in my original post that this is my son and he was playing around with my tie. lol

PS: Wow you really dislike DX! hehe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back