TIFF->JPG

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I was wondering how to get my TIFF image to save as a JPG. I have GIMP and PSE7. GIMP doesnt open it and PSE7 says it can only save it as a JPG2000 or something of the sort. Im trying to open it on a photosharing site and it will only let me upload jpgs. JPGs are also much easier to work with. Thanks for your help.

Mark

Make sure you've converted it to 8-bit first if the TIFF file is larger than that. You can only save JPG in 8-bit.

That was my problem when I first started using TIFF and trying to save as a JPEG.

Are your TIF images perhaps in 16-bit mode???????? I think that might be the reason the software will not allow you to save it as a standard JPEG images, which is 8-bit only.

I think you need to go to Image: Mode: and pull down to 8 Bit, and in that way convert the TIFF files from 16 bit to 8-bit, and then do a "Save As" and select JPEG, either the standard or the Progressive variety. I think that'll solve the problem.

...PSE7 says it can only save it as a JPG2000 or something of the sort. ...

Normal behavior for PS, Elements or CSn. They will only list the formats that support the current images' color space and bit depth. JPEG only supports 8bpp. The "new and improved" (but never really accepted) version of JPEG called JPEG2000, or JPG2000, does. You need to convert the image to 8bpp (Image/Mode/... in PS) manually. PS won't do it for you on the fly unless you use the "Save for Web..." option (PS/CSn has this option but I don't know if PS/E does).

Most reactions

Back