Tiff or Jpg?

marialynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always shot in RAW and then converted to JPG, but lately I've been wondering if I shouldn't be converting to TIFF instead?? There is a HUGE difference in the file size, and I'm wondering if that makes an impact on the detail and quality, especially when it comes to printing. Anyone have some knowledge or experience with this?

Convert to TIFF if you plan to do additional processing of the image. You can then convert the TIFF to JPEG when you have the image in final form. If you're not doing any further processing then raw conversion to high quality JPEG should do the job.

The JPEGs are compressed with loss but it's very well implemented and going to be imperceptible in screen images and normal size prints. In very large prints you'd need to look real close to see it and at that point you're too close and arguably printing too big.

The only other issue would be if you were printing wide gamut and required 16 bit files -- pretty specialized stuff.

Joe

Yes, tiff, then you will have the original raw file and the converted tiff file, as well as your final image. If you change your mind about the processing you will have more options without starting from the very beginning. I actually have raw, tiff, psd and jpg for many images.

Most reactions

Back