tiff to j-peg How about the quality

lscaller3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can I turn my tiff files into j-pegs I acidently shot a wedding as tiff files.

But,,, does he really want to?

Uncompressed tiffs have better image quality than JPEGs. Keep 'em as tiffs if you have the space.

TIFFs are basically on the same level as RAW files...somewhat unprocessed and uncompressed...so the quality is *much* better than JPG. I'd say (and I'm guessing everyone here will agree) keep them as TIFF as long as possible.

Another huge difference is that no matter how many times you edit and save TIFF files they won't lose quality. JPegs lose a ton of quality every time you edit and save them.

TIFFs are basically on the same level as RAW files...somewhat unprocessed and uncompressed...so the quality is *much* better than JPG. I'd say (and I'm guessing everyone here will agree) keep them as TIFF as long as possible.

Another huge difference is that no matter how many times you edit and save TIFF files they won't lose quality. JPegs lose a ton of quality every time you edit and save them.

But the quality sliders go up to 12 for JPEG! That's 20% more than going up to 10. Spinal Tap would be proud. :p

TIFFs are basically on the same level as RAW files...somewhat unprocessed and uncompressed...

Actually, TIFFs are not unprocessed. Also, they can be compressed.

TIFFs are usually either uncompressed or compressed with a lossless compression method. Even when compressed they do not loose quality when saved the was JPEGs do.

Keep the TIFFs as master files. Do all of you editing using the TIFF files and only make JPEGs as extra files for distribution when necessary. Should you need to re-edit something you've saved as a JPEG, use the TIFF version instead.

JPegs lose a ton of quality every time you edit and save them.
JPEGs (Joint Photographic Experts Group, by the way) don't always lose a ton of quality each time you edit/save them.

It depends what editing you have done.

I don't have the link at hand but someone out there did some tests and put the results on the Internet.

It took about 20 saves or so before there was noticable degradation.

Plus many de-noise applications can also address JPEG artifacts.

Most reactions

Back