Please can I have your thoughts please:

Pic 1
TigerTree.jpg

Pic 2
Rocky.jpg

Pic 3
NarnisandRocky.jpg

Many thanks for looking :)

2 and 3 may be a tad overexposed...I feel like some of the detail in the grass and their fur is lost, but that could be my eye. I like the composition of the first one; it's like you're sneaking up on him looking very majestic.

I have to agree about the overexpising, the light was not good to you. I like the second where it seems you have managed to get close enough to the bars to have lost them completely.
Out of interest what camera were you using and can it shoot in RAW mode? If you can then I strongly suggest shifting to RAW as when it comes to editing the shots on the computer you can reduce the harsh light and get a much more natural looking shot (I also find that it works well with white subjects which often tend to get overexposed)

Many thanks about Pic 1 - thats me fave.

I was using Nikon F75 Manual SLR. Not sure what RAW is but I wasn't using auto??? Maybe I can play with photobucket and see if I can find more detail or bring more colour in or down perhaps? I am new to photography and playing with piccies to be honest - I just managed to border a piccie for the first time today!

SLR - so these are film shots scaned into the computer right?
I only know DSLRs (digital) and am also only a recent photography nut - but on DSLRs there are differnet levels of image quality - low, medium, high and RAW. I am not sure how things are set-up for the SLRs but I am fairly certain they don't have this set-up. (but you can change things round with differnet types of film.)

Out of interest which mode were you in? Ap, apature priorty mode is what I do almost all of my wildlife photography in.

edit -- editing in photobucket -- try looking up GIMP its a free photo editing package (I have not used it, I use photoshop elements) but I have read that is offers some powerfull editing options

edit 2 -- I just had a play around with one of your shots in elements -
Rockyb.jpg

what I did and the settings I used:
GIMP offers similar options or so I have been led to understand
Auto modes:
Smart fix
Levels
Contrast
Colour

From there I shifted to layers and did
Hue and saturation:
hue -8
saturation +15
lightness -5

Brightness/contrast
brightness -24
contrast -23

Finally I merged the layers and ran the unsharpen mask:
amount 56%
radius 0.8
threshold 2
I did not run any noise reduction - looked fine to me :)

might read like a lot of info and not much making sense now, but most of it is just playing with the settings to get the image to look right (ps there is only on time a photo looks right and than is when you the photographer are happy with it - what works for some might not work for others - so this is my working, but don't feel pressured to try and copy - get the photo looking how you want it to look (eaiest place is in the camera taking the shot ;))

Most reactions

Back