Tilt Shift for Landscapes

JTPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It is taking me a while to get the hang of this Nikkor 24 pce, but I think I am getting there. The perspective correction stuff is easy enough, but utilizing tilt to maximize DOF for landscapes is tricky. I have been reading everything I can find on it, and what it pretty much comes down to is alternating focus and tilt in live view for different parts of the frame until you hit the sweet spot. When you get it, the DOF is amazing. I can definitely see why many landscape guys are die hard fans of the TS lenses. This is an unedited (though reduced in size) test shot taken at f8, on a D800e. The sand in the lower part of the frame is less than 18 inches away from the lens. It is hard to tell in this reduced size photo, but the horizon line is very clean.

_DSC0946_01.JPG

It is taking me a while to get the hang of this Nikkor 24 pce, but I think I am getting there. The perspective correction stuff is easy enough, but utilizing tilt to maximize DOF for landscapes is tricky. I have been reading everything I can find on it, and what it pretty much comes down to is alternating focus and tilt in live view for different parts of the frame until you hit the sweet spot. When you get it, the DOF is amazing. I can definitely see why many landscape guys are die hard fans of the TS lenses. This is an unedited (though reduced in size) test shot taken at f8, on a D800e. The sand in the lower part of the frame is less than 18 inches away from the lens. It is hard to tell in this reduced size photo, but the horizon line is very clean.

View attachment 95769
SWEET

Scheimpflug principle. Learn it, love it.

Then, put your camera on a tripod with no tilt or shift dialed in yet. Stand to the side looking at the camera so you can visualize the film plane.

Make karate chop motions in the air to indicate the film plane and the plane you wish to be in focus.

Chop. Chop. Where do the planes intersect? What should the lens plane be to intersect in the same line? Chop. Chop. Emphasis helps.

Now you know the tilt you need!

Yup that's why lots of landscape photographers still shoot on film with large format cameras. With the movements available on a large format camera every lens can be used like that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back